The Best in Thermostats and Temp Guns? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 12-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #11
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Aimee
How long have you been using your Alife thermostats? How much power are you running through them? Do you feel comfortable making the assessment that they are "safe", even with several people giving first hand accounts of them getting stuck in the ON position?
I have been using a couple of them for just over a year. Each one has either a UTH or a foot of 11" flexwatt and a 40 to 75 watt bulb. So each has two heating devices hooked to it, maxing out at less than 125 watts. These 4 are used with aquariums that range in size from 20L to 75 gallons that are housing Leos. I can only relate my personal experiences with them. For me they have been trouble free.

Quote:
It's a fact - they are an analog thermostat. They will fail eventually. The 500 (sometimes 1000) watt power handling capacity I have seen advertised on them is probably the culprit. The more power you run through them, the hotter they run. And then they fail. If you're running a single 75 watt light bulb or something similar through them, you may never see problems.
Everything will fail eventually. I use my temp gun on all of my enclosures at least three times a day. Even the ones running on Ranco and Helix thermostats. I don't put blind faith in any piece of equipment.

Quote:
Personally, I am using a few Alife style thermostats with lamp dimmers wired inline. It's the only way I feel remotely safe using this style of thermostat. And even at that - I am replacing them with Ranco and Johnson units as I can afford them (only 2 more to go!).
Trust me, I know the Alifes are an inferior product when compared to Rancos, Helix, Johnson, etc. I said that in my original post. Just in my experiences the Alifes have worked out ok for what I use them for.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:01 PM   #12
Metachrosis
Question

You have the URL for Control Depot ?
I couldnt pull anything up on it ?

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherin
the Ranco thermostats for a short time, however I understand that they have a great reputation. The main reason I went with them is that they are available for about $48 from Controlls Depot, they also carry the Johnson Controlls for about the same price.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
Slitherin
Link to Control depot, ranco etc

https://www.controlsdepot.com/eserv/...NO=J6348353292

Old 01-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
Metachrosis
Heres what I got ? LOL!!
__________________________________________________ ______)
Your Session Has Timed Out
For security reasons, you have been automatically logged off.

You can:
__________________________________________________ ______)

Do you have a unit/stock number on the Stats ? I looked around the main URL and only found the Stats for HVAC ??

TIA.

Quote:

Old 07-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #15
DragonCharm
Quote:
Sucky, I am just now reading this thread and get a message that the site has decided to close up shop when I get there.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #16
Alias47
Matt Graybeal (Justcage), one of the people that posted on this thread, sells heat supplies. He is a great guy, with excellent service and the lowest prices.
I have spent a good amount of money with Matt in the last year and would never hesitate to do business with him again. Go to www.mgreptiles.com
You can't go wrong.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:21 PM   #17
MGReptiles
Derek you are the man!!!!! Thanks bub!

Old 07-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
Alias47
I was sitting here thinking about the fact that I haven't talked to you in a while...and read this thread...and realized if this person hadn't found you yet...they NEEDED to...

Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #19
MGReptiles
Actually I have been so busy I dont even think my family remembers me..lol.. Madness here I am telling ya.. Oh and BTW, need a cornsnake?..lol

Old 07-27-2005, 01:01 PM   #20
Alias47
Sorry...DEFINITELY can't help you THERE...

My wife found out about the 'real' total snake count and FLIPPED...

Besides...I still have a pair (hopefully they still have them for me, I've been VERY non-existant lately) coming from Serp and Hurley...

Got too many of the damn things as it is...
If I wasn't so attached to most of them...I would consider selling some off...and might still...LOL

Got to make room for all these damn boas and bp's...

Haven't let myself buy any snakes for a while now...thank God...saving up for the Tinley show...

You still going to be there?

Have to buy you a drink...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!