rot x pit - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:13 AM   #31
Cat_72
Uhhhh.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
And that BIG difference is? You can call it line breeding if you want but if you breed mother to son or daughter to father, it's still inbreeding.
THAT WAS MY POINT.

Breeding that closely (mother/son or father/daughter) is INbreeding. Obviously there are people out there who DO breed that closely and erroneously call it LINEbreeding....and those that don't know the difference also very obviously should not BE breeding in the first place. That would be the whole reason I pointed out that there was a DIFFERENCE....as in, I was NOT encouraging inbreeding.

Sheesh.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:28 AM   #32
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Line breeding in itself, when done PROPERLY, does NOT produce genetic defects, when done for the RIGHT reasons, it helps to lessen them. Keep in mind, there is a BIG difference between LINEbreeding and INbreeding.
It's really hard to figure out exactly what your point was after you wrote the above two sentences. It looks as if you think line breeding and inbreeding are two different things. Sorry if I read it the wrong way but the above is what you wrote.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #33
Cat_72
Quote:
It's really hard to figure out exactly what your point was after you wrote the above two sentences. It looks as if you think line breeding and inbreeding are two different things

Good grief.

INbreeding and LINEbreeding ARE 2 different things. That would be the reason I said there is a DIFFERENCE between the 2. That would also be why I said that breeding mother/son or father daughter was called linebreeding ERRONEOUSLY.

Breeding father/daughter or mother/son is INBREEDING. We've got that much, right?

LINE breeding is a bit more difficult to explain. It's more breeding animals with some similar ancestors (i.e. the same bloodline), but not direct next-of-kin. Like say.....half-aunt to half-nephew, for example, if that makes any sense without me trying to draw it all out. OR... having SOME of the same ancestors a couple of generations back. Again, why I said you can have a fairly wide gene pool and still be LINEbreeding.

An OUTCROSS is when you breed 2 animals from totally different lines, i.e. you can go back many, many generations back and find no similar ancestors whatsoever.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #34
South Dixie Dragons
Cat is absolutely correct. INBREEDING & LINE BREEDING are two different things completely.
Inbreeding= Father to daughter, grandfather to granddaughter, two siblings
Line Breeding= staying in the same line (ie dogs that came from the same kennel, or dogs that have a common relative but far back in the pedigree or twice removed..like 3rd or 4th cousins)
OutCross= not related in anyway shape or form

There is nothing wrong with in breeding provided you know what you are doing . Breeders have produced some of the best lines by inbreeding. But the same can be said for line breeding and out crossing and just simply breeding on phenotype which is the way the "dog world" seems to be going as well as in other animals...

Old 10-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #35
Cat_72
Thank you, Michele.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #36
Karen Hulvey
IMO breeding RELATED animals is still inbreeding, no matter what one chooses to call it.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #38
Cat_72
So Karen, you are saying that if you have 2 animals that share ONE ancestor say, 4 generations back.....you are inbreeding if you mate them?

Old 10-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #39
Serpwidgets
BTW, all members of the same species have common ancestors and are related, it's just a matter of how far back you have to go in order to find those common ancestors. :scatter:

Old 10-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #40
Cat_72
Excellent point, Charles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!