Helix Tstats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
v2rherp
Helix Tstats

i'd like to hear from helix owners please. if any of you have/had any problems with helix stats. i've heard alot of rumors about them not working or working correctly? i have these on my racks and incubator and have not had any problems. i see alot of posts with people using helix, i'd like a show hands. how many poeple have helix and how many people are having problems with them?

inquiring minds want to know

vaughn

Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #2
surfrkidts
I have used a Helix and was happy with the results for a long time until the temps started creeping. I'd reset the system and it would go back to normal but a week later i would notice the temps slowly creeping up again. I sent the Helix back and recieved a new one which seems to be working perfectly. Right now I just can't decide which reading is right, the helix, the ESU theremometer , or the flukers theremomter!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
NeoScales
I've owned several Helix Thermostats (DBS1000), with mixed results. Right now I have one working and one sitting in a box from a electronic malfunction, both have needed fuse replacements (i.e. I found them no longer functioning) in situations that seemed random. I know many people love them; they were one of the first proportionals to by widely deployed for reptiles and have a good system for larger facility integration. But they are fallible – perhaps more than some would admit, less than others are suggesting.

So when it was time for me to choose new thermostats for 2 incubators, Helix wasn’t my choice because they didn’t do all that I wanted and from my experiences with them, I’d always wonder if it was working. So went looking for something to fill the following:
• Made from modern technology
• Easy to setup/use
• Has audible Hi/Lo temp alarms (an incubator must)
• Outage memory and report

I had examined a couple of choices, but I ended up with a Herpstat II by Spyder Robotics (from MG Reptiles). It an amazing piece of technology that has the ability to adjust the proportional power curve (another great feature for incubators) and control lighting. It’s been running both incubators for months now with no temperature fluctuations or problems of any kind – I’m very happy with my choice.

*During this same period - I’ve had 2 Big Apple thermostats – both working 24/7 for years now. They are fine, just a bit too basic for what’s available now for the cost.

Those are just my experiances - others will differ.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
SPJ
I have the regular Herpstat that I bought from Matt at MG Reptiles running on one of my racks and it works flawlessly.

Helix has a bit of a quality control problem but the Herpstats are definitely worth looking into if you want a new thermostat.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
MGReptiles
We have had several customers complain about the helix stats and have opted for another "brand" before ever calling us. Companies and products change sometimes for the better and sometimes for the, well yo uget the point.. I stopped carrying the Helix stats about 7 months ago becasue of customers complaining they were not holding steady temps and also of having a hassle when something with the unit arises.. If I am going to carry a product the manufacture has to be behind there product 100% not saying that Helix does not have good customer service it is just not what I thought was right for my customers if they had a problem!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
A_Kendergirl
I bought a Helix and all I got was a very EXPENSIVE thermometer. It could tell me that it was cooking my animals very well. The shut-off function (you know, the thing that makes it an actual "thermostat") was completely non-functional. In a bind, I bought a Herpstat and I couldn't be happier...it's been running for 6 months with no more than 1/2 degree variance. Now THAT's what I expect out of a thermostat that cost $100 +.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
gothra
Hmm, I might've been lucky. I bought 3 units of Helix thermostat about 3 months ago, and all seem to be working very well (still). There is a 3 degrees temperature fluctuation though.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
MGReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothra
Hmm, I might've been lucky. I bought 3 units of Helix thermostat about 3 months ago, and all seem to be working very well (still). There is a 3 degrees temperature fluctuation though.
3 degrees on a proportional thermostat is not working well..lol.. I would expect temps like that from a Zoomed thermostat..

Old 04-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
v2rherp
wow, out of the thousands of helixs' sold and the thousands more in use everyday, i would of thought that hundreds would be replying saying how they had problems! doesn't sound like a major problem to me considering the amount sold and in use! i myself had a failure with a herpstat, but dion at spyder robotics was very professional and repaired/returned it
promptly. interesting responces.

vaughn

Old 04-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #10
MGReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Slerp
wow, out of the thousands of helixs' sold and the thousands more in use everyday, i would of thought that hundreds would be replying saying how they had problems! doesn't sound like a major problem to me considering the amount sold and in use! i myself had a failure with a herpstat, but dion at spyder robotics was very professional and repaired/returned it
promptly. interesting responces.

Spawn
Just give it time more will come.. I made a ton of cash selling the helix stats and make less selling the herpstats.. I just think it is better to sell someone a working and relicable unit as opposed to the customer haveing trouble and not being satisified. Just curious but are you on the Helix payroll now? If you are you need to tell the 1000 kids in singapore building these things to double and triple check their work...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!