Nutro dog food problems...anyone else hear this?? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
Lucille
Cathy:

I admire that you looked into this and got an email back. I know it is a holiday weekend, but I think it would be an act of tremendous kindness to return the bag of food today and tell the store personnel why you are returning it.
They may, based on the info you present, remove that particular lot of food from the shelves until Nutro investigates, and certainly that would be a good turn for your fellow dog owners in case there is a problem with other bags in the lot.
The deaths may not be due to manufacturing, again, in the account both dogs shared house space at times, but it is a good thing to be proactive.

If you could get in touch with this person, ask her to contact Texas A&M and see if, given the widespread use of this food, whether they will do a free analysis for her. Their vet school is one of the best in the country, and the school in general has been helpful to me personally when I have contacted them with agricultural questions.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Cat_72
That's a good idea, Lucille, thank you, I will suggest that to her. I already emailed her back again and asked for more specifics, I don't know if she gots any of the results from the initial testing of the food or not. I guess I feel that if the Nutro company has offered to pay all of her vet bills, there must be SOMETHING going on....but again, I am checking more deeply as well.

I am also planning on returning the bag of food I have.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I guess I feel that if the Nutro company has offered to pay all of her vet bills, there must be SOMETHING going on..
I can understand that feeling. But many times, in order to retain their good name and avoid the expense of litigation, large companies will underwrite costs that may not actually be their fault.

I know that in grocery stores if a consumer finds an item that is of questionable quality, the manufacturer many times will send out a case of the product or coupons as a thank you for bringing the matter to their attention. This can be for matters where it is clearly the store's duty to oversee the product as in product expirations.

I really am awaiting the outcome here; I hope the industry as a whole will renew their efforts at quality control since all of us put our trust in the manufacturers to sell good wholesome food for the dogs we love.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
old guy
what I know of the business

Yes on making the consumer happy in anything the retailer can do as to me working at this time for Dillon's food stores. But back to the original thread of contamination of a product even for pets : Think of this > ( and let's all remember that I did say it is possible and could be a " authentic " case matter and I was in the retail - wholesale pet industry for over 21 years ), someone said that the dog food company would hide the facts ? Whether they did/do or not they couldn't/can't afford multi dollar law suits and or the negative flux of their product. ALL dog food companies imaginable ! > has breeders and kennels not to mention some animal control and animal re-locators/adoption agencies, feed ALL brands of dog food. A FACT ! See why there would be a recall or a taken off the shelve scenario ? But who would be liable for the contamination of either toxins of plant matter or animal products/bi-animal products ( i.e > chicken feet, cow hoofs, etc. to name a few ). Certainly not the retailer or wholesaler as they only marketed the product. The production company ? Maybe not Unless they used some kind of chemical themselves to extend shelf life or preservative or had the dirties machines around. The supplier of ingredients meaning pesticides and or herbicides of plant matter or if I read something here about thistle. I seem to remember USDA being involved with even pet foods. Even though this wasn't pet related remember how fast the brand of Blue Lake Green Beans was taken off the shelves after that frog or baby turtle was found in one single can. This was only a regional happening though. Not saying one or several bags of pet food could harbor a contamination problem but here is the process of re-call > ( and this could be a quality control issue or a inspector of the plant problem ) , the production plant gets notice, the wholesaler or kennel or dog breeder that buys skids or multi bags gets notice from the manufacture or direct, the wholesaler gives notice to retailer or dog breeders or kennels . Now that retailer could be a retail pet store, a grocery store , a feed store or even a hardware store since some of them got into the sales pet food. The product is recalled. Could this be a Tylenol scenario as to what someone said. Could several batches be contaminated solely or lone bags. SURE ! My facts of the business and my opinion.........

Old 04-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Cat_72
Mike, I have an excellent understanding of the retail business...as well as the thought process of the manufacturing company itself. I also understand how devastating it can be to lose an animal. I also know how many years and animal deaths it took before they took certain Hartz flea products off the market....the company denying the deaths the whole time. I also belive that Nutro is a good dog food as a whole. A lot of contradictions, huh?

This is why, I have said repeatedly, I am checking into this further. I'm NOT wanting to jump to conclusions, nor have I placed any blame on the company, the retailer, or some crazy out there a la the Tylenol nightmare. But whenther it be one bag, a few bags, or all of them, I'm NOT taking my critters health lightly. I simply wanted dog owners to be aware that this is going on, and use their own judgement from there.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy
Yes on making the consumer happy in anything the retailer can do as to me working at this time for Dillon's food stores. But back to the original thread of contamination of a product even for pets : Think of this > ( and let's all remember that I did say it is possible and could be a " authentic " case matter and I was in the retail - wholesale pet industry for over 21 years ), someone said that the dog food company would hide the facts ? Whether they did/do or not they couldn't/can't afford multi dollar law suits and or the negative flux of their product. ALL dog food companies imaginable ! > has breeders and kennels not to mention some animal control and animal re-locators/adoption agencies, feed ALL brands of dog food. A FACT ! See why there would be a recall or a taken off the shelve scenario ? But who would be liable for the contamination of either toxins of plant matter or animal products/bi-animal products ( i.e > chicken feet, cow hoofs, etc. to name a few ). Certainly not the retailer or wholesaler as they only marketed the product. The production company ? Maybe not Unless they used some kind of chemical themselves to extend shelf life or preservative or had the dirties machines around. The supplier of ingredients meaning pesticides and or herbicides of plant matter or if I read something here about thistle. I seem to remember USDA being involved with even pet foods. Even though this wasn't pet related remember how fast the brand of Blue Lake Green Beans was taken off the shelves after that frog or baby turtle was found in one single can. This was only a regional happening though. Not saying one or several bags of pet food could harbor a contamination problem but here is the process of re-call > ( and this could be a quality control issue or a inspector of the plant problem ) , the production plant gets notice, the wholesaler or kennel or dog breeder that buys skids or multi bags gets notice from the manufacture or direct, the wholesaler gives notice to retailer or dog breeders or kennels . Now that retailer could be a retail pet store, a grocery store , a feed store or even a hardware store since some of them got into the sales pet food. The product is recalled. Could this be a Tylenol scenario as to what someone said. Could several batches be contaminated solely or lone bags. SURE ! My facts of the business and my opinion.........
The reason possibly contaminated food gets taken off the shelves so quickly is the legal theory of strict liability where a retailer and/or manufacturer can be sued in tort and be held liable even though they had no knowledge of the contamination and were not responsible for the harm other than being in the position of a seller.
Under this theory, one merely has to prove harm from the product, and prove that a particular vendor sold the product to you, one does not have to prove fault.
Because the consumer is totally unable to protect himself in cases where there are contaminated food and medications, and because the companies have resources to compensate, food and drugs are strict liability products.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I'm NOT taking my critters health lightly.
Thank you. All they have is us, I think all animal owners should be this careful and responsible.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:58 PM   #18
old guy
Disagree on retailer on the tort law

unless it was proven that they had knowledge and didn't do anything about it and or continued selling the product. AND we are talking about a rather large dog food company here. My experience is that ALL of the major dog food companies have representatives that visit and make sure that the product is taken off shelve. This is MANDATORY anyway for the recouping and or refund/credit on the retailers behalf. We had : Science Diet, Nutro, Iams, Pedigree, Nutro Max, and all other that I can't even remember representatives visit us often. Again my facts and opinion....thanks.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #19
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy
unless it was proven that they had knowledge and didn't do anything about it and or continued selling the product. .
Nope. For strict liability, knowledge is not necessary. Here (Froma good explanatory website, Zuber and Tailleau):

What is the difference between a negligence claim and a strict liability claim?
In a products liability negligence claim, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant did not exercise the proper degree of care when manufacturing or otherwise providing the product to the consumer. Everyone in the chain of distribution must exercise reasonable care, including the designer, the manufacturer, and the seller. The duty is owed to anyone who is likely to be injured by the product if it is defective, including the initial purchaser, his or her family members, bystanders, and persons who lease the product or hold it for the purchaser.

The duty of care includes the duty to make adequate inspections during product manufacture, the duty to use proper packaging, and the duty to issue adequate instructions and warnings. If any of these duties is breached and someone is injured, the consumer or other injured party can bring a claim based on negligence.

In a strict liability case, on the other hand, the plaintiff need not prove any violation of the standard of care. Under this theory, the defendant is responsible for any defects in its products that threaten the safety of a consumer's person or property, even if it exercised care in handling the product and even if the plaintiff had no direct dealings with the defendant, such as when the consumer bought the product from someone other than the defendant. Strict liability applies when the defendant is engaged in the business of selling the product that caused the injury, and the product is expected to and does reach the consumer without a substantial change in the condition in which it was sold.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #20
PaulSage
I had called Nutro on Friday morning when I got the email notification of this thread, and they were already out of the office for the weekend.

My Jersey is 3/4 of the way through a bag of this food, but the bag went out with the garbage on Monday, so I don't know if it was the same expiration date / lot no. or not. I haven't heard anything from anyone else about this, so I'm still somewhat skeptical (no offense, Cathy). My guess is that if the dog food was indeed to blame, that perhaps it became contaminated somewhere along the line. I don't know though. If anyone hears anything further, please post and let the rest of us know.

Caty, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!