Incubators - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #31
Willow
that thing does seem pretty awsome...for that price the small size isnt to big a deal...just buy more then one...you can attempt temp-sexxing different clutches or if you breed different animals you can have each one set for those eggs

i may have to give this thing a try...it would be awsome if it really works out well...someone should email the website who makes em and ask details about the fridge

Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #32
tmth
I'd like to say that I have used this mini-fridge as an incubator- last spring, for a clutch of Carpet Pythons. I had 20 good eggs and they fit- but barely. Obviously it would be much better for smaller critter eggs. But, since it was my first and only clutch I wasn't really wanting to spend too much. There *is* a temperature difference between the top and bottom I noticed- when the egg container with vermiculite was in there. Since it was last year I'm not sure how much exactly but it didn't affect my eggs badly enough- got 21 hatchlings.
Another plus was that this was useful for road trips and a bit of camping for the rest of the summer! I plan to use the fridge again this year too. Still planning on just one clutch, and it worked fine previously so why change things?

I'd also like to point out that there's a company selling these with their name on it- and for an extra ~$150. Get it at http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/6ad2/ and not "ReptiPro 5000".

Lauren

Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #33
cinderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmth View Post
I'd like to say that I have used this mini-fridge as an incubator- last spring, for a clutch of Carpet Pythons. I had 20 good eggs and they fit- but barely. Obviously it would be much better for smaller critter eggs. But, since it was my first and only clutch I wasn't really wanting to spend too much. There *is* a temperature difference between the top and bottom I noticed- when the egg container with vermiculite was in there. Since it was last year I'm not sure how much exactly but it didn't affect my eggs badly enough- got 21 hatchlings.
Another plus was that this was useful for road trips and a bit of camping for the rest of the summer! I plan to use the fridge again this year too. Still planning on just one clutch, and it worked fine previously so why change things?

I'd also like to point out that there's a company selling these with their name on it- and for an extra ~$150. Get it at http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/6ad2/ and not "ReptiPro 5000".

Lauren
i think i just spent a half hour looking at all the kitchen gadgets on their page. i love thinkgeek. I've seen that posed as an incubator before and its great to see some feedback on it. Might get one and test it out later this year.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #34
WingedWolf
If your Hovabator is unreliable, I think there is something wrong with it. I have 2 that I've used for the past 3 years, and they hold temperatures beautifully...VERY good temperature control.
I use a Herpstat thermostat with them. I think the folks who are having problems are trying to use the simple wafer thermostat that they come with. I just unscrew and remove that completely. It operates fine without it, as long as you have it connected to a GOOD thermostat. Plus, without it, they are stackable. lol

I have looked at a number of incubators over the past few years, and with this year's results, using substrateless incubation directly in the Hovabator base, I can fit 5 clutches in one Hovabator. I decided...why mess with what works? I am going to continue using Hovabators, and just buy more when I need them.

I tried the Reptibator, and it sucks, frankly. It doesn't hold humidity at all.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #35
alohareptiles
Beside making your own, which is the most economical...Nature's Spirit as mentioned earlier is a great production made incubator...I also use a cooler incubator made by Jake Wallace of JW Exotics...Yes, I couldn't have made it on my own and cheaper, but Jake does a great job and it's a pretty cool cooler incubator with all the bells and whistles...It has a clear window, light, fan and Herpstat T-stat...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!