Disappointed with mealworm size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
surfrkidts
Unhappy Disappointed with mealworm size

Well, at the IRBA show today i bougt a 1000 count bucket of mealworms and when i got home and opened them, i realized their size. Heres a pic of a bigger one and an average one from the container:

I'm disappointed because i doubt these little "worms" will satisfy my gex :eatpointe

Old 03-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
that little one is aweful small

Old 03-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
VipVenom
I get the same thing. I order mine through the mail and sometimes they are really small but then once in a while they will be huge.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
montezuma
Who did you get them from? Alot of times (especially at shows) there will be small ones when the demand is great... it may take a week to pump them up but it can be cut down to one day by feeding them cucumber. Cucumbers may not have the highest of nutrients but they are full of water which is beneficial too... I suggest (if you need them for feeding asap) to feed cucumber to as many as you need to feed right away then raise the rest up to size.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
surfrkidts
thanks a bunch, i'll see if i can get some cucumber and pump up about 30 for the next few days and the rest i have in the fridge for the time being. (I bought them at a small booth just called "Rainbow Mealworms"

Old 03-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
Herpcam
Rainbow mealworms is a feeder breeder out of Compton, CA. I got some there today as well, and they are a bit small. But, as Gene says, they're like that often when you get them, no matter the source. You couldn't beat the price, though, huh? $5 for 1000.

Keep them out for a day or so in whatever you gutload with before you put them in the fridge. I don't keep mine in the fridge, but I think they'll need the nutrients before they slow down in the cold.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
WiteLeo
I always check my mealies to see if they are died before I buy them.

I understand why you didnt though, you shouldn't have to.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
montezuma
Ahh Geez.... thats most of the problem right there! I did business with Rainbow for several months... if you look at another thread regarding buying crickets bulk you'll see where I mentioned having ants in my shipments... RAINBOW! I had to have them reship twice, the 2nd replacement shipment came in with ants just like the prior 2 so I sent them pics and noted my disgust on the phone. Their reaction was ignoring me, lucky for them the BOI was not yet in existance! Just an FYI, pay the little bit extra and get them from American Cricket (and if you could tell Bill I sent yah his way I would appreciate it!) you'll be much happier with the product!

Old 03-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
surfrkidts
i bought some more mealworms, still small, but a little larger. I can't take a pic just yet cuz camera needs to recharge. anyways, i am thinking that just for one night i will feed my geckos ungutloaded meallies, and tommorow the meallies will be gutloaded. i got some cucumber like you guys mentioned and have about 300 out of 1000 in a gutloading bin. Hope the ones i had to put in the fridge don't die!

Old 03-13-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
surfrkidts
ok, i picked out a few from the new batch (from prehistoric pets/ www.prehistoric.com) and since i don't have time to gutload, i'm just gonna feed the geckos a few to hold them over until tommorow when i have a whole bunch that have been munching on cucumber and baby cereal

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!