I'm a newb...HELP! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
kelseyx14
Harald, it may have to do with the fact that the post said "beginner reptile" and "son." Chinese Water Dragons are not a good reptile for a first time owner. They require a lot of care and should have an enclosure at least 4' L x 3.5' H x 3.5' D. People see then in stores and think they are adorable. Then they get one and have no idea how to care for it. Later as they are googling they realize some reach 4 ft in length though 3.5 ft is more common.
*Disclaimer; if a CWD reaches 4' in length they require a larger enclosure af a minimum size of 6' L x 4.5' H x 4.5' D to allow them to move comfortably.*

Even Bearded Dragons have a lot of care requirements. Any young CWD I have worked with is easily stressed and extremely skittish. "Taming" can take many weeks depending on where they came from and if they had been handled in the past.
I always recommend Gargoyle Geckos to first time owners as they are much smaller, do not get stressed often, are very hand able, and have big personalities for their smaller size. They are great, a lot of people look over them as first time reptiles.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
LauraB
I gotta agree ... the OP said "beginner reptile" for his son.

How many people see that cute little Tegu or Iguana, only inches long, and take it home as their first reptile purchase only to find they can't and don't want to care for it as it matures? Then it ends up in a rescue situation, released. or for sale on CL?

Frankly, I would have to agree with a gecko or bearded dragon as a first reptile for a kid.

I think my kids, now grown, would agree that my snakes, turtles, torts, scorps, large lizards, even chams, that must eat live food and do draw blood on occasion, were not their best introductions to the herps I love, LOL.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 AM   #13
hhmoore
I'm well aware of the care involved....and agree that a lot of people jump in without properly researching them. That doesn't change the fact that this is the type of animal in which they are interested. Better, IMO, to give him the information he needs (care requirements, adult size, space requirements, expense, common problems, etc); and let him decide for himself. That doesn't guarantee anything, obviously...but starting out with an animal that doesn't spark that interest - regardless of how easy it is to care for - isn't a recipe for a happy experience.
(It doesn't matter how easy something is to care for - if its owner becomes disinterested, it won't fare well...and cheap shouldn't mean expendable.)

I get the "good first reptile" angle...I just happen to feel that "settling", or getting what somebody else likes, is a poor option.

The person making the inquiry is an adult. Give him the information to make an informed decision - if he decides that a water dragon isn't the best choice for him and his son, he can ask for other suggestions.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 AM   #14
hhmoore
I guess my point is that this site used to be a place where people gave information freely. If somebody asked about Chinese water dragons, somebody would take the time to educate him. If they felt it was a poor choice, that was backed up with an informative explanation (more education) of why.
Kudos to Connor for at least starting along that path.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!