Bear....... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
WebSlave
Bear.......

Was cleaning out a bunch of pics taken by my game cameras and saw this one taken out at the driveway....

And I thought we were just trying to keep deer and rabbits out of the fruit trees....

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Casey Hulse
Very cool pic.
It is the wrong time of year to mess around where bears are eating I think...Be careful.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
leaveittoweaver
Awesome shot! I never have seen a bear in person except in zoos, there aren't many here in New York. Pretty cool experience

Old 06-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
snowgyre
Casey, it's always the wrong time of year to be messing with feeding bears, lol! Awesome photo! My parents are going to be investing in some bottle rockets and rubber bullets though, we have two bears that came down into our small backyard in New York and they were not afraid of people or of our big rottweiler mix. So, we're going to have to "educate" the bears that hanging out by people probably isn't a good idea.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
WebSlave
Heeeee's baaaaack!

Connie found the bird feeders wrecked and two of the three poles bent over. So I checked the game cameras, and sure enough, our buddy is back. I'm surprised he didn't tear up the compost bin we have out near the garage.

I guess if he keeps on tearing up stuff I'm going to have to call animal control (or whatever it is around here) about him. But honestly, I think he's just passing through, and isn't really hanging around here. Apparently he walked on through here back in January, but didn't disturb anything that time.

To give you some idea of the size of this critter....

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
AGoodwin
Bears are pretty common here too. We have to spray our garbage with ammonia to keep them from tearing it apart. One time a bear walked right through our front yard while one of the cats was laying on the walkway. They both just looked at each other but didn't seem to care about the other one.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Untaimed
We have a large Black Bear that lives in our area. He goes through our yards damn near everynight & while he no longer dumps our trash (we have to bungee cord them shut), he's just destroying our fences. One section of our fence in the 'back 40' is beoyd repair from his constaintly climbing over it, the two neighbors closest to us also have ruined sections & you can see the exact path to takes. We had to section off the area & build another fence to keep our dogs secured in our yard, otherwise they would be able to hop the fence like he does. Unfortunately no many times my neighbors & I have called Fish & Game, they haven't done anything. Well, that's not entirely true, they did give all the house on the right side of the main road (over a mile away) got the special 'bear proof' trash cans. They didn't give them to us in the area where he does all the damage, or the left side of the road. I guess bears don't go left? I'm not sure what their reasoning was, but one of the houses that received the new trash cans is a friend & didn't even know there was a bear in our area. It makes no sense, but I'm not the type to do anything to hurt him, he has been annoying, but he doesn't bother my dogs (indoor dogs, but go out whenever they want) so he's just begun to be a part of the neighborhood. Similar to the wild turkey, guinea fowl & one legged peacock that travel through the yards in our neighborhood...

Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Untaimed
Wow, is there a way to edit that last post? I don't know what happened there, but my mind must have slipped or I was auto-corrected from hell. Sorry guys, I should have proof read it before I hit the submit button.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
RonanRat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodwin View Post
Bears are pretty common here too. We have to spray our garbage with ammonia to keep them from tearing it apart. One time a bear walked right through our front yard while one of the cats was laying on the walkway. They both just looked at each other but didn't seem to care about the other one.
Same, there are some bears in my area but they seem to be more interested in garbage and "junk food" than people's pets, which is a good thing. Still not keen on having mama bears around though, those things are MEAN!
I'm glad black bears aren't as violent as grizzlies or browns, all you gotta do is chase em off with loud noises and non-lethal rounds and they tend to leave you alone, lol.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Durante
I know I cant be the only person who comes from the city & wasn't lucky enough to grow up spotting these critters anywhere besides a zoo. When I first moved to where I am now my wife would get so mad, catching me walk around 3:00am. I used to ask her did you here that & she would reply she heard nothing which was my point. In the city your used to hearing the cars, drunks, etc & if you dont it means you have an issue. I actually mad the mistake of trying to chase away a very large raccoon like it was a stray dog or cat... It didn't work like I planned but can say I'm happy it wasn't the big fella you have wondering around..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!