Bear....... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
WebSlave
So, I put the tape measure to the bird feeder that the bear was feeding at last night and it's 4'10" from the ground to the lip of the feeder. So it looks like the bear was right around 5 ft. high while sitting on the ground. So how tall would that make him standing up on his hind legs?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So, I put the tape measure to the bird feeder that the bear was feeding at last night and it's 4'10" from the ground to the lip of the feeder. So it looks like the bear was right around 5 ft. high while sitting on the ground. So how tall would that make him standing up on his hind legs?
Lets do the math. If you take the 5ft his is on all fours, & add half that percentage to estimate if he was standing on two feet, you get an answer of...
WAY TO BIG TO BE MESSING WITH, even with your air horn lol

Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
WebSlave
Actually he was SITTING on his haunches while munching in the bird feeder. That's why when I first saw him, it just didn't compute what the heck I was looking at, as his head was behind the bird feeder and not in the light. I could only see his lower body and just was not expecting that. Plus black on black makes it real hard to pick out details.

In any event, yeah, just a trifle big to be pissing off with an air horn. I'm just glad we didn't have the windows open, as Connie cooked up a turkey that day, and no telling what the bear might have gotten into his mind smelling that odor coming out of the house.

I'm glad I've got that .50 Beowulf AR sitting next to the bed......

Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #24
WebSlave
Well, the bear came by again this early AM, around 2:45. I heard the alarm go off, and sure enough, he was at the feeder. He took off as soon as the flashlight beam hit him. I had heard dogs barking earlier, so I guess they all caught wind of him as he was heading this way making his rounds. His timing must be a little off, though, as trash pickup was yesterday morning.

I guess I REALLY need to set up that electric fence gizmo to zap him on the nose a couple of times to convince him to go away and stay away.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
AbsoluteApril
I hope the electric fence will do the trick! He seems very persistant. I suppose you can't just get rid of or move farther out the bird feeder?

Be careful!

In case ou didn't see this story - Man Describes Mauling By Black Bear

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...195747568.html

snips from the story:

Joe Azougar was sitting on the front porch of his cabin this weekend with his new German shepherd puppy, Ace, when he "started to hear a vibration or thunder and I turned around to see a bear."

The next few minutes were pure mayhem and panic in which the bear killed the dog and then came back for Azougar, smashing through a cabin window to get at him and mauling him so bad that Azougar said he could feel the bear's teeth on his exposed skull.

Azougar, 30, spoke to ABC News from his bed in Lady Minto Hospital in Cochrane, Ontario, where doctors needed 300 stitches to patch up his scalp, shoulder and back.

Azougar began throwing things at the bear, making loud sounds and stood on a chair to make himself appear larger.

He was saved by the arrival of two women who saw Azougar getting mauled as they were driving by. "Out of nowhere I heard a horn and these two angels saved my life," he said. The horn scared off the bear, which ran back into the woods.

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources said the bear was shot and killed and has been submitted for a necropsy, where officials will test to see if the bear was suffering from some type of disease.

"I have spoken to people who say they have lived here for 20 or 30 years and they said they have never seen anything happened like this," said Azougar.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #26
WebSlave
This morning Connie burst into the bedroom and yelled to me that there was a bear in the yard. It was just after 8am, so I was still asleep, but I threw off the covers, jumped out of bed and ran into the den to grab my camcorder.

Sure enough....

Oh yeah, I have to admit that I was buck naked following the bear down the driveway, as I didn't have the time to put on any clothes, but the bear just ignored the wild naked man with the camera following him.... Of course, the yellow flies REALLY liked all the fresh white meat I was offering them. Ah, the joys of living in the country.

Anyway, this was trash pickup day, so apparently the bear was making his rounds checking out the trash receptacles. I'm sure they have learned that those green plastic containers with the blue tops often hold goodies to eat in them. For the record, we NEVER had a bear problem around here till WastePro took over trash collection and then those trash bins became bear magnets. But apparently ours didn't pass the bear sniff test this morning, as he just sniffed it a few times and then walked on down the road. Connie walked out to the end of the driveway to see if she could still see him, but he had vanished by then.

He didn't touch any of our bird feeders or really anything else I can tell around the house. So I guess he was really just passing through.

Heck, that bear acted like he didn't have a care in the world...

Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
Durante
Quote:
Heck, that bear acted like he didn't have a care in the world...
Looking at the size of him I doubt he has much to worry about. What in the world are you guys in Florida throwing away, monster looks like he eats better then me. Thanks for sharing the video.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #28
Lucille
Quote:
Connie walked out to the end of the driveway to see if she could still see him, but he had vanished by then.
I wouldn't be walking down any driveways for at least a couple of days. Maybe weeks.
That is one big bear.
Did you realize when you moved there all those many years ago that you would be dealing with critters like this?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #29
Snake-Queen
That bear looks very big!

Did you ever set up the electric fence for the bird feeders?

Enjoyed the video, thank you for sharing.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #30
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I wouldn't be walking down any driveways for at least a couple of days. Maybe weeks.
That is one big bear.
Did you realize when you moved there all those many years ago that you would be dealing with critters like this?
Heck, I knew there were black bears near this area, but I always read that they are the smallest of the North American bears. So I figured, heck, what's the big deal about *little* bears running around?
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!