Saharan Uro still not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
aambumann
Saharan Uro still not eating

I received the Uro ( young adult red male ) on 8-20-13, everything looked good and was eating properly. The seller had already treated for parasites before they were shipped. I received 4 of them, the red female is starting to show the same signs, but the yelow male and yellow female seem to be doing fine and eating. All the cages are similar and set up the same way. The red male is being housed in a Vision cage model #322 ( 36" wide - 23" deep - 21" high ) Uvb is a Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture, and is 10-12 inches above his basking spot, cool end temp is 79F, warm end temp is 85F, basking temp 115F-130F depending where he chooses to lay on the 12"x12" slate tile, produced by a Sylvania 50w halogen spot par 30. He has 12 hour on and 12 hour off light schedule. He had been eating spring mix salad dusted with calcium and vitamins, ground 15 bean soup mix, universal blend bird seed, and millet.1 month later he stopped eating and started losing weight, after 4 days of not eating ( only weighing 86 grams ) I took him to the vet. On 9-24 he was given Baytril antibiotic, Panacur, Flagyl, and tube fed Science diet A&D canned food by the vet, and was sent home with Baytril to receive a shot once per day for 10 days. During this time I would occasionally soak him. On 10 -3 -13 he was not any better and had lost more weight ( weighing 79 grams ) I took him back to the vet, this time I had a stool sample to take along for a fecal test, which came back negative. The vet again treated him with Panacur, Flagyl, and Science Diet a&d canned food. Since then I have been tube feeding him with the Science Diet, yogurt for the live cultures, and infant Ensure for the easy digestibility. He still has a mix of greens, spring mix salad, 15 bean soup mix, universal blend bird seed and iguana pellets available daily with the occasional soak. He usually basks most of the day just laying there like he is sleeping and when he does move I find him in the warm side hide. The vet said there is not much more to do, except keep feeding him and hope he starts eating on his own again, he will eat or die. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or is there something I am missing. Just trying to keep him fed and hydrated for now.Thank You

Old 10-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
aambumann
Update- In the past couple of days the red saharan male uro has started eating again on his own. Will continue to monitor.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Congratulations, obviously you did all the right things!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
aambumann
Thank You Helen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!