Question about one of my breeders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Cache Reptiles
Question about one of my breeders

I have a female breeder that was possible het. for leucistic. Last season I proved she wasn't a het. by breeding her to my het. male. She is almost completely patternless and only shows a pattern when she's stressed out. Does that mean that she is a hypomelanistic?

Thanks,
Dillon

Old 04-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Cat_72
Dillon, just because she didn't produce any leucistics bred to your het male doesn't really PROVE that she is not a het....odds very possibly may have just been against you. Not super likely, considering how many eggs you get in one clutch of Beardies, but it is possible. Statistically, a het bred to a het will only produce 1 in 4 of whatever they are het for.....sometimes the "odds Gods" don't smile on you. I'd give her another shot bred to the het male, or an actual leucistic if possible. You may get lucky.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
kimnrick04
I strongly agree with cat, a het to a het is just playing the odds. Sometime you hit and sometimes you miss. I hope you the best in the future.
Rick

Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Cache Reptiles
Thanks for the advice, but I'm pretty sure that she's not het. The reason is, 80% of the eggs hatched. If 25% are supposed to be Leucistic, then atleast one or two leucistics would have hatched.

Thanks,
Dillon

Old 04-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Cat_72
If those eggs always went exactly by the statistics, yes. But it doesn't always happen that way (especially when you have luck like mine). I've known folks who have bred het to visual and managed to miss getting any visual babies on occasion. It's all in the roll of the genetic dice.

Best of luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!