3 loose gators in Pittsburg in 1 month; city may adopt exotic animal ordinances - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
bcr229
3 loose gators in Pittsburg in 1 month; city may adopt exotic animal ordinances

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsbu...tiles/27925698

City of Pittsburgh may adopt legislation addressing ownership of exotic animals and reptiles

3 alligators were caught in Pittsburgh neighborhoods over the past month

PITTSBURGH —

Mayor Bill Peduto has a terse response to the recent incidents involving alligators roaming Pittsburgh neighborhoods after escaping from their owners.

"Ridiculous," Peduto said Tuesday. "People, if you have alligators, don't bring them in the city."

Pittsburgh does not have an ordinance to regulate ownership of exotic pets, but Peduto says something may be created very soon.

"I know that Councilwoman (Darlene) Harris has said one of the things she wants to do this year is be able to write an exotic pets ordinance, and we want to work with her on that," Peduto said.

Three alligators were caught in the city within the past months. One of the owners is Mark McGowan, of Beechview, who saw authorities remove nearly three dozen animals from his Rutherford Avenue home, including three more alligators.

Harris was unavailable for comment about her quest to create exotic animal legislation.

Mark Henderson, owner of The Enclosure in Plum, said it's just a matter of time before strict legislation is created, because many people are not responsible with the reptiles.

"I quit selling them years ago, based on the fact that what has happened to them," he said. "I actually sat back and watched the unfolding of a lot of stories."

Henderson said he would not be surprised if the city leveled a heavy-handed crackdown.

"The alligator is going to -- everything is going to come to an end because there's going to be legislation created if these type of actions keep up by the public, unfortunately, so I wish people would be more responsible," he said.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
bcr229
Exotic animals removed from home where alligator escaped

https://www.apnews.com/0320ac2c243546969245aecc4c8310a1

Exotic animals removed from home where alligator escaped

June 12, 2019

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Authorities have seized more than 30 animals — many of them exotic — from a Pittsburgh home where a 5-foot (1.52-meter)-long alligator escaped last week.

Among the 32 animals removed Tuesday were three more alligators, including one with a neck injury; three snakes, including Burmese pythons, a lizard and some iguanas. Multiple dead animals were also discovered in the home.

Authorities say they found many of the animals living in poor conditions when they went to Mark McGowan’s home Monday to conduct a well-being check. Police and animal control officers, along with a reptile expert, returned to the home Tuesday afternoon with a search warrant.

Animals that were being properly cared for were allowed to remain in the home. They included venomous snakes, poisonous toads, pythons and tarantulas.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
alex bleas
Sounds like everyone on here if you twist the story right.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
alex bleas
I have dead rats and mice in my freezer

Old 06-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
many of the animals living in poor conditions
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex bleas View Post
Sounds like everyone on here if you twist the story right.
Um, no, it does not.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
Herpin Man
I, for one, would not want "the authorities", who likely know little or nothing about herp care and housing, to be in a position of judging how I keep my animals.
I suspect that was the point Alex was trying to make.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
I, for one, would not want "the authorities", who likely know little or nothing about herp care and housing, to be in a position of judging how I keep my animals.
I suspect that was the point Alex was trying to make.
That's a fair point; I didn't consider the point of view of the evaluators of the situation.

After watching a video of some of the animals seized, I agree with you even more; those herps (and the rabbit and guinea pig) look to me to be in fine shape.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/vide...rom-mans-home/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!