Wild caught Cockatoo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > Birds For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Birds For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
ShannanD25
Exclamation Wild caught Cockatoo

Someone is posting a "wild caught" cockatoo (caught in 2004) for sale in reptibid-

http://www.reptibid.com/cgi-bin/auct...tem=1104981185

Last I checked, this is highly illegal. Can anyone direct me to who to contact and report this to? And if I am correct in this? If this bird is wild caught, then he was smuggled in and now is being sold on the internet.

Thanks for anyhelp

Shannan
(also owner of George, the military macaw)
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Lucille
Good eye for picking that up!!! Hope you find the right organization to make sure that wild cockatoos are not being trapped and sold, it is illegal to trap them and import them.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Brownie55
I think that goes to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. USFWS

Old 01-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
old guy
The sale is gone so

I didn't see if it was wild caught where. If it was in the USA as an escaped pet or something, no law was broken other than document of health in order to be shipped within the USA. If it was shipped or caught outside of the USA, yes on all kinds of legalilty. It wasn't unusual for me to drive birds from one place to another with sales reciepts when we had our pet store. Many times we picked up species from breeders opose to shipping. I DO remember some cites documents and maybe some lacey documents on some species that we had to have in order to pick-up though. But to my knowledge none of the parrot species that we had or purchased/sold had to have the documents forward at least in the oringinal form.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
ShannanD25
I notified Reptibid. The kid was claiming it was WILD Caught as a young bird in 2004. I am not up to date but I am almost certain, Cockatoos can not be exported from their native land. Even if they are a family pet they can not leave. I just hope the bird gets a good home somewhere.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread