Perlite Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
-JayDog-
Perlite Question

I know that Perlite is a plant product, But are there some types of Perlite that are not recommended for incubation? If I go to Home Depot to buy a bag, will the "Scott's" brand be ok? Is there a certian ingrediant in one brand of Perlite that is not in other that I should stay away from?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 01-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
Mark and Aimee
Perlite is perlite. We use the Scott's brand you mentioned.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
mmfrankford
Well not exactly. I had gone to Lowes to pickup some Perlite. They only had one type, and it had a fertilizer additive to it. I don't rememmber what brand it was. But I thought it unusial to see perlite with anything added. Most don't, but I would check the bag first to be on the safe side.
Using vermiculite anyway for incubating.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Wilomn
I've used both perlite and vermiculite, alone and mixed, for years. Both do a good job but perlite is WAY neater. Vermiculite gets all over everything.

Try a nursery(?). I buy huge bags of the stuff every other year or so at mine, they run about 15-20 dollars for something like 4 cu. ft.

Good luck

Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
Well not exactly. I had gone to Lowes to pickup some Perlite. They only had one type, and it had a fertilizer additive to it.
Sure. That would be perlite plus fertilizer. I stand by my original statement. Perlite is perlite. Fertilizer is fertilizer, and most certainly not a part of perlite.

Vermiculite has been found to contain asbestos, in some instances.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
progeckos
I’ve been using the Scott’s brand from Home Depot for a few years now and I haven’t had any problems. Perlite is so easy to use and I would rather use it than vermiculite.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
groovygeckos
:)

perlite is actually not a plant material .. but more of a volcanic glass ..... and works better than vermiculite for incubation. you definately do not want any of either with any additives . i havent seen the type w/ fertilizer but will watch out for that , thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!