Calcium Bowls: Do Leos ever eat the calcium? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
-JayDog-
Calcium Bowls: Do Leos ever eat the calcium?

I was wondering if anybody has witnessed their Leos eating from the calcium bowl? I've never seen mine lick or eat calcium from their bowls and was wondering if I should be concerned about this. I do not monitor them all night long and maybe they do lick some up, but I've never seen them. They will get fresh calcium when it gets dirty or starts to clump or I find any reason to think it may be contaminated. Are there any tricks to getting my leos to go for the calcium? I started putting some mealies in the calcium bowls hoping that that would attrack them.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
SoCalHerps2
That's probably the best thing to get your leos eating it. I've also put meal worms in with the calcium and what happens is the mealies wiggle around in it spreading calcium all over their bodies, and once the leos eat it, there's calcium going in along with the mealies. This is what i've found works best. Hopefully you're leos will start eating it. Good luck.

Ali

Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
calcium bowls

Yes! I have seen several of my geckos sitting by the calcium dish licking it like they were drinking water! Leaving a bowl of calcium in the gecko's enclosure still does not guarantee they are using it, though. You should still dust their food items with calcium/vitamins anyway.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
Mine do, I never had much luck with the regular calcium then I switched to a ground up calcium you buy by the pound and as soon as I put it in they went over to check it out and licked it and I have seen them lick it several times a week since. I also put calcium in my mealworm bowl and I spray the mealies with liquid calcium. The gound up kind comes from premium reptiles at
http://premiumreptiles.com/services.html, I buy it 3lbs at a time, its not the super fine powder, its grittier like a sandy type texture.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
progeckos
Mine lick calcium from a dish all the time. I’ve started placing the cap of calcium inside their ceramic hides and they seem to lick it better. For one thing they are always hiding and the calcium is right there. Also make sure to gutload your feeders. This will give extra calcium and other nutrients to the bugs which will then be passed to your geckos.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Mike S.
My leos dont like their calcium, when i dust the mealworms, they lick the the calcium than ignore the mealie, and go to a less covered one. I use Rep-cal without d3.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:27 AM   #7
paulv
mine eats calcium

I have seen my gecko's help themselves to the calcuim provided in their bowls.
I feel that they know when they need some and then how much.

After i have seen this they will always have calcuim.

paul

Old 01-04-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
gothra
Yes, I have seen several of my leos 'eat' the calcium. I only dust their (adults) food once or twice a week with calcium + D3; and I put a dish of pure calcium in their tank. This way, they can adjust their calcium intake themselves; I don't want to risk over-supplementing them.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #9
superhypo
some geckos lick from calcium dishes others dont its best to dust their prey to garantee calcium consumption

Old 01-13-2005, 01:50 AM   #10
GotHerps?
I have seen just about all my leos lick the calcium dish, it seems to me that when I dust thier meal worms, the mealworms die or are inactive very shorty after being dusted and fed to the leos, then they don't really feel like eating them. JMHO

Robin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!