Security Settings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
Sasheena
Security Settings

Okay, I have Windows XP and have decided that my daughter (after breaking a number of unstated but definate rules) should not be allowed onto my computer unless I give her permission...

BUT I can't seem to figure out how to configure my computer so that it is only password accessible. Can anyone tell me how to fix it? I was able to get the screen saver to have a password protection, but you click okay without entering a password and your back to the computer again.

Any tips would be helpful, t hank you!

Old 07-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
Jim O
You can password protect the account. Go to Control Panel...User Accounts and set up passwords.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Sasheena
Thanks... I set up accounts for hubby, myself, and daughter... but is there any way I can set it up so that she can't access the internet from her account? AT this point in time she can't do anything without the password, but it would be even better if I could set it up so that she could go on the computer but could not go online... or do I have to buy one of those parental control type programs?

Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasheena
Thanks... I set up accounts for hubby, myself, and daughter... but is there any way I can set it up so that she can't access the internet from her account? AT this point in time she can't do anything without the password, but it would be even better if I could set it up so that she could go on the computer but could not go online... or do I have to buy one of those parental control type programs?
How about just removing the phone, ethernet or cable cord until the rules are followed?

Old 07-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Sasheena
I may have to do that. Bring the Modem with me into my bedroom at night.

URGH!

Old 08-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
sumguy
some limited ideas (I don't use XP except at work or like XP) :

there are programs that will password protect other programs. Passwords have to entered when running web browser, email, etc.

Your firewall may be configurable to allow access at certain times or password protect programs that try to use the internet. I'm not sure how configurable XP's built in firewall is but I use ZoneAlarm in addition to a highly configurable firewall built into my router.

You can probably set up content restrictions by user. Only use XP at work and I'm restricted about changing system settings etc. so can't provide specifics. Try seeing if Internet activity by user can be adjusted.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
Cat_72
I'd like to know how to figure that out too....as of now, I have the same set-up, the kids can't do anything unless I log them on to Windows with the password. They aren't allowed online at all unless an adult is home.....and since we got off dialup, (and XP, I don't like XP particularly either, but I guess ya gotta keep up with the times, right?) I can't figure out any way adjust the settings to let them use the computer without it being online.....

Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 PM   #8
Jim O
Disconnect the modem and lock it up. Then they are offline. If you need to, take it with you in the car when you leave the house.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
Sasheena
My solution was to create password protection so that my stepdaughter can only get on my computer with permission from me, and I then type in her password. Of course since then she's become more unruly than ever, and this makes me glad of the "censorship at home".

I wish I could figure out a way to make it so that there was no internet access from her "account" however I haven't figured that out so she just has to ask if she needs the internet.

Since she's currently "Grounded for life" her life is pretty boring.

I'm afraid, however, that she's figured out a way past the password protection because when I logged into the computer today or yesterday I had to relog in to this site, and several of my favorite sites had all the links "dark blue" again ... like they'd been unvisited... so it makes me wonder if she figured out a way past the password protection and did something to the history or coookies in order to hide her tracks.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 PM   #10
Jim O
Change your password(s) and don't let her in the room when you are logging on in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!