cypress mulch? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
futureherpbreeder
cypress mulch?

i recently bought a bag of cypress mulch for my retics, and for some reason i believe its to rough of a substrate. my retics seem like they arent as active as if they were on another substrate. their belly scales are really dry and seems like they are breaking or somthing? anybody know what thats called?
and should i discontinue the use of it and go back to the aspen beading?

thanks

Old 12-26-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
hhmoore
I've never had that experience with cypress mulch. Is the mulch dry? (it usually is not) I can't help but wonder if maybe it was treated with something...If they are behaving differently, esp less active, and showing signs of problems - I would discontinue use just to be on the safe side

Old 12-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureherpbreeder
their belly scales are really dry and seems like they are breaking or somthing?
This sounds like thier bellies are burned. Do you have a heating pad or some form of under tank heat device? If so, I'd check the temperature on that.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
old guy
How big of retics ?

Really newspaper is best for anything with size with pythons. I agree it sounds like a thermal burn though.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
futureherpbreeder
i dont have a under tank heater in theres. and when i do use them, i have my thermostats hooked up.
today i switched it back 2 my normal substrate, and they seem to be just fine now.
maybe i got a bad batch of mulch?
but thanks for the info.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Karen Hulvey
I hate to say this but something smells fishy here. What the heck?
Since when does "their belly scales are really dry and seems like they are breaking or somthing" resolve in a few hours after a substrate change?

Old 12-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
old guy
I wonder if the

cypress was to dry or to wet ?

Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
futureherpbreeder
good news .
i found out they had a bad shed, so put them in big rubber made tubs with luke warm water and a towel, and what i was seeing that looked like "broken scales" was old skin.
it confused me when they did shed, i thought it was complete. but i was wrong.
so maybe them becoming less active was do to them being irritated or somthin. and also i just put them together to try and breed them for the first time, so maybe their a little confused like me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!