Cypress Mulch Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
snakewrangler
Cypress Mulch Help

Howdy everyone,

I would like to get some pro opinions here. I love the look of cypress mulch and would like to use it in some of my snake cages (I can get it here for a couple of dollars a bag), but I am scared of mites. Should I be worried? Thanks!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Fangthane
I'm no "pro"..but I use alot of cypress mulch as substrate for my snakes and I haven't had any problems with mites so far. If you're concerned about it, you could probably pre-treat the mulch with Provent-a-Mite or Reptile Relief spray.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
ms_terese
I've used cypress mulch for many years and have never had a problem. However, I usually soak the mulch first to get rid of excess dirt, which might help as well, I don't know.

For soaking, I dump a bag into a large rubbermaid, cover with diluted Simple
Green, soak overnight, then allow to air dry. Once I have it in the enclosure, I mist down again to help keep the humidity high in the enclosure.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
varnyard
Simple Green, is awesome stuff!! It is 100% safe as well as biodegradable.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
slither75
I know this is an older thread, but I have no idea how to start my own thread. My problem relates directly to this thread though.

My problem is what I believe are fleas!

I have Brazilian Rainbow Boas and use cypress mulch to help keep the humidity high. I recently bought a bag of cypress mulch from a large petstore. When I did my weekly cleaning last Sunday, I used this new bag of cypress mulch with the intent of recycling the old stuff. Well this weeks cleaning came around and as I started to remove the water dish from one of the tanks, I noticed numerous, too many to count, fleas hopping throughout the cypress mulch.

I just read this thread and will probably start using the simple green method. I have two questions though.

1. My Reptile Relief states that if used on the enclosure itself, then it must be rinsed off before reintroducing the reptile. How then do you use this product as a preventative measure on cypress mulch? Do you treat it then rinse it off?

2. I've been searching this site and numerous other websites to find what harm fleas can be to snakes but I can't find anything. Alot of articles about ticks and mites, but nothing about fleas. Any help out there?

Thanks in advance!

Spencer Webber

Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
Tim Cole
Or...

We buy ours from Home Depot which pretty much eliminates the chance of fleas. And I'm willing to bet it's cheaper. $2.99 a bag.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!