Choosing a tortoise - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
ndballpythons
Choosing a tortoise

Im interested in bringing a tortoise into my home maybe in the next 6 months.
This gives me plenty of time to research and choose the right tort for me.

What I want out of a tortoise is one that is a manageble max size for me to handle which would be 30-40 lbs or less. I need to be able to handle the tort by myself for cleaning, moving, feeding etc.
Also I would like a tortoise to have a personality. One that isnt timid when i let him out for exercise. I want him to recognize me and like to be handled.

So far Ive come across Hermann's to be quite suitable in what I want out of a tortoise.
If anyone has any other species that you could suggest to me I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
rcarichter
The three I would pick from are Hermann's, Greeks, and Russians. I've not had a Greek, but I have had the others and prefer the personality of the Hermann's. Ours is definitely friendly and inquisitive. I also keep Egyptians, which are tiny, but they're not a beginner species, and they're quite rare and expensive.

Noelle

Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
ndballpythons
Great! thanks for the input!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
croc 2-3
I'd go for the Russians or Greeks as these are easy.Russians can be kept outside year around.Greeks have to stay indoors. Russian in front Greek in rear.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
The three I would pick from are Hermann's, Greeks, and Russians. I've not had a Greek, but I have had the others and prefer the personality of the Hermann's. Ours is definitely friendly and inquisitive. I also keep Egyptians, which are tiny, but they're not a beginner species, and they're quite rare and expensive.

Noelle
Agreed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!