Applications open for Mars One - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
JColt
Applications open for Mars One

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...-space-colony/

Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
WebSlave
I wonder if they will still have to pay taxes while on Mars? Heck, figuring on what a gallon of milk would cost you to buy while living there, imagine the windfall in sales taxes.

Seriously, does the technology exist to create a TOTALLY self sufficient colony on another planet? Indefinitely? I wouldn't want my life completely dependent on supply ships coming for the rest of my life.

And unless there is something on Mars that can be used for trade value for supplies, SOMEONE is going to have to subsidize this project for a LONG time.

However, I truly believe that humanity REALLY needs to get some of the eggs out of this single little basket we call Earth before the basket gets shaken up and all the eggs broken. So that first step just HAS to be taken.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
JColt
78,000 apply to leave Earth forever to live on Mars

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-on-mars?lite=

Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
WebSlave
Wow! What an innovative way to make a few million bucks!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
rcarichter
Can you sign other people up?

Noelle

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Can you sign other people up?

Noelle
Now you're talking! I can think of a few people I wouldn't mind seeing shipped off to Mars.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
snowgyre
Noelle, that's the funniest thing I've read all day, lol!!

Rich, as far as I know, we're still a long way off from making a sustainable colony anywhere. We still haven't figured out how to get people to Mars without them losing so much bone density in the process that they'd still be able to walk once they got there.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Rich, as far as I know, we're still a long way off from making a sustainable colony anywhere. We still haven't figured out how to get people to Mars without them losing so much bone density in the process that they'd still be able to walk once they got there.
Apparently that is of little concern for the outfit taking the money for those applications..........

Maybe I should start up a swindle, er proposal, to create a colony on the rings of Saturn. Imagine the view! Only $29.95 (non-refundable) no matter who you are or where you live or whether or not this ever becomes a REALITY.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
JColt
Just downloaded copy of Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration by Buzz Aldrin. Start reading this weekend

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Mars-V...mm_kin_title_0

Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
snowgyre
You guys should go play Kerbal Space Program. The game is hilarious and actually gives you a really good appreciation for how difficult space travel is! www.kerbalspaceprogram.com

You can watch a hilarious video of it here, narrated by the King of Sweden himself, Robbaz! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxgc-nt2410

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!