First timer with eggs...help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Air2air
Exclamation First timer with eggs...help!

Hi everybody - I've read everywhere I can about Beardie breeding tips, but can't find a conclusive answer. I don't want to lose these eggs, but I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.

Here is what I'm doing:

- Clutch was laid 4 days ago. Her first; she's 3 years old.
- Tupperware container, holes punched in, clean sand in the bottom moistened regulary.
- Container is under the heatlamp. Temp is 84.
- Condensation on the inside of the container.

We candled a few (first time for us). Saw the blood vessels. We've been careful not to turn the eggs...read about that too.

Problem:

They smell. Many are crinkled. All were yellowish, but over this last couple days I am seeing white formations on some shells. So some of the eggs are looking a lot better than they were on Day 1 /2, when the whole clutch was yellow, dimpled and didn't look too good.

So right now my wife wants me to put everything in the garage. I smelled each egg separately, but I really can't find any particular one that is guilty.

Sorry for the noob question folks. I am sure you gurus can save this poor little clutch!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Air2air
Here's a picture of the clutch. Looks worse this morning.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
john_ny217
they all look infertile to me. the yellowish color and the fact that they are deflated also is a sign they are duds.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Air2air
Thanks John - I read that the female's first clutch is often infertile, if you agree. What I'm confused about is that when we candled, we saw the blood vessels, and I thought that was a green light.

Are you saying we should toss 'em? They are starting to smell.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
angie.h
Some of the white ones look like they are fertile....they may have survived if you had put them in about 3" of moist vermiculite, or sand/ verm. mix. If you just had them on shallow sand and added water, the bottoms of the eggs would get wet and kill them. The eggs may have gotten too much water on the bottom, and too much direct heat on top. Was there a lid ?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Air2air
Thanks Angie - yes I have a lid with holes punched. So you guys are saying that most are infertile, but some are fertile?

As you can see from the picture I am getting some increasing white growth on a few. However they are all deflated to an extent.

Angie it sounds like I should get vermiculite right away, and bury the eggs a little more to get better insulation then...?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
DragonVenom999
This sounds like a primo setup and you have prepared yourself accordingly.

not sure why your having issues

Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
angie.h
I really don't think any of those eggs have a chance now....they are completely dehydrated, probably from having the heat light coming from above, you could have put them in the same tank as the dragons if you had a shoe box [ if you don't have an incubator, but away from the heat lamp in an area that is 80-87 degrees. The eggs should look plump to survive....they can sometimes get a little saggy and plump back up with added water, but those look too far gone. The ones I have pictured are near hatching size [ many months ago ] What I do is get the moist verm. and I make impressions with my finger that the eggs fit right in. Maybe your next clutch will work out. And yes, the yellow and crumpled ones can definitely be thrown out...especially if they smell.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!