Iguanas...Help me! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
SpiralTailRanch
Iguanas...Help me!

I am a chameleon person. Not an iguana person.

I just recieved two baby iguanas by chance and I cannot get them to eat. I've done research and read that they eat dandelion greens, romaine lettuce, blackberries, bannanas and more. All that I listed I tried feeding them.

Ive chopped them, sliced them, chunked them, nothing works. I've even attempted to give them a whole peice of lettuce. Can anyone help me?

I've had them for two days and only seen them take one small bit of lettuce once. Havn't seen them drink either.

Thanks!!

Old 06-11-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Sybella
First of all, don't panic. I'm sure you know that most reptiles go through a "I'm in a new place so I will refuse to eat" phase. Give the iggies a few days, even a week, before worrying so much. If they don't eat one day, wait another day and then offer them a "salad" (of bite sized pieces) in the evening. Start with good lettuce and grated carrots. Most importantly, leave them alone so they can be "sneaky" and eat while it's quiet and they think they are alone.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
Stardust
NO lettuce.
Dandilion greens, mustard greens, escarole, turnip greens, collard greens to name some good types of greens, no spinach.
Squashes, carrots, peas, green beans, for babies would grate it.
Perhaps small pieces of grapes to help them start, or a small piece of bread, even with some water so they get the moisture.
You dont say what temps you have them at or the humidity.
You may want to give them a nice warm bath to see if maybe they have to go potty, they can also be trained very nicely to go in the tub. And they can drink there as well.
They are probably very frightened. Try to not approach them from the top too much as they will view that as danger. Talk softly to them, relax .

Old 06-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
SpiralTailRanch
Baby Iggys

Thanks you two, I'll try that. I am just so used to chameleons and snakes, that when these two popcorn iguanas got here, I didn't know what to do.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
Stardust
No problem, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask

Old 06-11-2004, 05:34 PM   #6
Sybella
Suzanne, that was what I meant by "good lettuce." LOL!! But I should have listed out suggestions as you have. Thanks!

By the way, Spiraltail is a reptile rescue...just so you know.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
Stardust
Thats fine Sybella, but it is Rozann not Suzanne

Old 06-14-2004, 06:51 AM   #8
jiffypop
One more suggestion..

Don't feed them in the evening, feed them earlier in the day. They need the warm basking temps to digest their food. Hydration is much more important than food when acclimating new iguanas. Bath them daily and mist them several times a day. Also, mist their food before placing it in the enclosure.
These babies are not going to eat if they are not warm enough. Make sure they have a basking spot that reaches 95 degrees. If you have them housed together I'd also try to separate them. Best of luck!

Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
SpiralTailRanch
Thumbs up Iguana ideas

Well, I did what you guys said, and they were all over the food when I put it in there later in the day. I didn't do the evening because I had to leave, so it went in there at about 2 pm. When I got back it was ALL gone.

Yes, we are a reptile rescue. Usually we only get turtles or snakes or the older iguanas. The older iggys are much easier to get to eat. They don't think about it much.

Before, when I fed these babies earlier the food dried out before they ate it. So, I hope mid-day is okay

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-15-2004, 03:31 AM   #10
Sybella
Ooops!! Sorry, Rozann!

At least I was close. LOL!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!