"MnJ" Snake, Tortoise, Reptile Rescue - VA ??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
snakewrangler
"MnJ" Snake, Tortoise, Reptile Rescue - VA ???

Do any herpers out there in DC/Maryland/Virginia know what this business with "MnJ" Reptile Rescue is all about? This person/people is overloading the local craigslists for months and months with ads claiming that they are a non-profit reptile rescue (even though they cannot spell the words in their posts correctly) and are frequently asking for donations of supplies, tanks, and cages.

A handful of times would not usually raise any red flags, but these posts are appearing literally 20 times a day.

Nobody seems to have ever heard of an "MnJ". Anyone know anything? Is it illegal to pose as a non-profit organization? There is no MnJ in the VA state 503(c) list.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
cyberfrog
I've never heard of them, I'd email Holly at the MD Reptile Rescue or Dennis at the Norther Va Reptile Rescue to see if he knows them.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
snakewrangler
That's a good idea, I'll do that today. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
cyberfrog
Cool, let us know what you find out.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
snakewrangler
I sent her an email. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
snakewrangler
Nope, Adam, she's never heard of them. My thought is that it just needs to be reported to the state as someone possibly posing as a fake 503(c).

Its strange too, since some of the posts directly address their 'services' to law enforcement agencies.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
GinoInDaBronx
Likely Scam

Posing as a 'reptile rescue' is a common scam in this hobby. Look-up Matt Martin on the BOI, he used to do it all the time.

Second, they only want snakes and tortoises... Those would be animals that likely have significant resale value.

Email them and tell them that you have 25 huge Red-eared sliders that need a new home. And also offer some sickly green iggies. I bet that you dont hear back from them.

G. Beniquez

Old 05-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
cyberfrog
better yet!

"I have an 18 foot green anaconda. Roughly 250 pounds, eating piglets every few months. Just got the stitches out from the last cage cleaning, the cast comes off in another few weeks and the doctor said I should regain most of the sight in my right eye. I do feel well enough to move this animal now and need to get it to your rescue asap. Please provide me with driving directions so we can drop it off."

Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
greenfiremajick
No Cyberfrog...you got it alllllll wrong

You're supposed to tell them everything you said except asking for directions.....Tell them you got directions from someone else that has done business with them and that you are on your way to their place and should be there in the next few hours with the snake, while including your cell phone # in case they need to reach you while you're en route.....

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
snakewrangler
UPDATE...Now he has a website...

Seriously, has nobody ever heard of this guy?

http://mnjsnakerescue.org/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
michael davis