UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, USPS - bad guys. - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:34 PM   #41
dwedeking
I'd definitely get on the phone. That is the same BS response I got when I first started the process. Let them know you know other people are able to do it. Without losing your temper be stern with them.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:15 PM   #42
Brian Oakley
well, I went to the above link and found nothing other than the fact that they do not receive/ship goods of our nature. I was hoping that I would find and email addy, but there was not one OR I overlooked it. Anyway, this is what I wrote in reply to her response to me. We will see what the reponse is this time.......LOL!

Denise,
I appreciate the prompt reply. I was under the impression the link below would allow me to contact someone to speak with regarding such services, but it does not.
I have read the 'Terms and Conditions' regarding live animals, but I still have a few questions and comments.
There is a very large market of individuals who breed nonvenomous snakes such as myself. I am talking multiple thousands if not 10,000+. I would think, if packaged properly to eliminate any liability on your end, you all would want a piece, if not all, of that market share.
I am one of many people who make multiple shipments a day, week, or month. I know that there are regulations when dealing/shipping venomous snakes, but I do not partake in that type of breeding. I am rather confused as to why there are some people that are permitted to ship nonvenomous reptiles/amphibians (including lizards, snakes, frogs, etc.), yet some run into many challenges when requesting and/or seeking the same.
I, as a 'shipper', am not looking for any responsibility on your part for damage or death in the event of such when shipping my snakes. I feel, as a small business owner, that it is my responsibility to provide my 'customers' with a healthy and in tact snake when such purchases are made. Although I have never had anything happen when shipping before, again, I take the responsibility if it were to occur.
Like I mentioned in my previous email, I am looking for a professional business partnership that would benefit both parties. I know any business that FedEx (as one of the largest shippers in the world) can get, would be much appreciated. The reptile breeding industry does not get a fare shake at the services that are provided to other industries in the country or world for that matter when it comes to shipping needs, that we as a business, need from time to time to be successful. We, like others, have to take proper actions and steps to insure the safety and well-being of the product we ship. That is the responsibility of me, as the supplier, to do so and am not looking for any support in that area. I am seeking, as a professional, an avenue to take my 'product' from point "A" to point "B" and believe FedEx can provide that best service when it comes to my needs.
Although I am just one piece of a VERY large pie in this industry, I believe, like mentioned before, that the rewards you and your team of professionals would benefit from would be astounding if given the same courtesy as a small minority in our profession have received in the past.
I know there are risks involved, but is the case in anything that your company ships on daily basis. Proper packaging along with explicit guidelines as to what is expected from you in our relationship is a must and would be very understanding.
I feel there is a way that FedEx and myself can work together and in the long run benefit us both in the professional world.

Just to rehash a few things, I want to share with you the steps that I take to insure the safety and security of the reptiles I ship (and your team as well although there really is no risk, but still needed thought and care is on my mind) to insure that my customers receive a well packaged snake that will arrive in great condition.
1. I use a sturdy cardboard box
2. I line the box with 1" styro to insure a humane level of heat/cold is maintained in the box during shipping
3. Plenty of shredded paper or crumbled newspaper to reduce, if not illuminate, that shock from moving while driving, flying, etc.
4. Snake is placed in a escape proof bag. These bags are designed for my industry for transporting reptiles. The bags are NOT airtight to allow the snake to breathe, they are very sturdy/thick to insure security of the snake not to escape. The bag is then tied in a knot tightly, again, to insure the snake cannot get out.
5. All the above is then placed in the box, taped shut over all joining sides/flaps of the box.
6. It Is the labeled "fragile- harmless reptile". This would be no different than if I were shipping a glass vase, just to make your company aware of the contents so you all can add your extra sense of professionalism and care when handling.

The last thing would be, how is it that other entities have been given such opportunities?

Respectfully,
Brian Oakley

Brian Oakley
Phoenix, Arizona
BrianOakley@cox.net <mailto:BrianOakley@cox.net>

Old 02-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #43
Brian Oakley
I KNOW, I KNOW, the numbers are not EXACT by any means (10,000+), but then again, this still applies to just the ones who ship once or twice a year. Would not surprise me at all if it was a good sized number!

Old 02-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #44
Brian Oakley
Here was the latest response to my last email (above). I suggest we all call regarding this. Maybe they will realize by the amount of calls that there is a BIG chunk of business they are missing out on. Strange how I sent an email to a 'Denis' but got a response from Teresa.......just something I noticed.

Thanks for contacting FedEx.

Please contact our Live Animal Desk at 800-405-9052.

I hope this helps.
Teresa Morton

Old 02-03-2004, 06:25 PM   #45
Brian Oakley
just an FYI, I had to leave a message. Not sure if it was due to the hours or if that is standard. It says on the message that they do not ship any reptiles and only ship zoo animals and horses.
I find that odd and contridicts their own policies. We all know they ship lizards and amphibians.

One thing that came to mind while discussing this with a friend, I am sure there big arguement/point in snakes are not knowing which are venonmous. They will accept lizards, but does not speak to Gila or Beaded lizards which we know are venomous, so I suppose it is ok to ship those as long as they fall under the size restrictions they have?!?! I find that odd as well.

I will let everyone know what their response is when they call.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:32 PM   #46
Tom McKenna
This is the lady I talked to and here is her number

1-800-463-3339

When you talk to someone at that number ask for Cinncinate Manager desk or CAT they call it. Then ask for Dowana tell her Tom McKenna from S&H Exotics told you to call her. That is the lady that got the whole ball rolling for me

Tom McKenna

Old 02-03-2004, 06:45 PM   #47
Brian Oakley
Well, I tried that number and got ahold of a Amy in 'CAT'. Dawana was gone for the day. I explained my needs and she put me on hold, came back and said that the department I would have to speak to is not answering at the time, but she listened to the message and they do not ship snakes of any kind and do not make exceptions to that policy.
I politely said that I was looking at a contract that was drawn up between FedEx and a 'fellow snake breeder' and that I would have to beg to differ with her. She said the best she could do is leave a message for Dawana to call me and she can do so tomorrow.
More to come..........

Old 02-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #48
Brian Oakley
Tom,
Do you have a last name and also an email addy for her?

I wanted to send my email that I wrote and posted here as well as talk to her on the phone IF need be.

I htink it is rather humerous how I was told they make no exceptions, yet I have received shipments that were CLEARLY labeled 'live harmless snakes' (maybe it said reptiles) in the past fromverified shippers with FedEx AND we have a contract posted right here on this thread stating the approval to ship.

What gets me is they have no clue just how much more business they could get by accpeting them, complete ignorance on their part and they will not even look into the market share they could pick up.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #49
Tom McKenna
I got the same run around until I talked to Dawana. SO keep trying to reach her she got mine all set up and zero problems since then

Old 02-03-2004, 08:56 PM   #50
Brian Oakley
TOm,
I will do that, but do you have a last name and an email address for her?
I just like to keep things in writing so I can use it is backup if needed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!