Can't leave the air conditioner on in the summer - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
vandrad9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
In that case I wouldn't worry about it. Being a little warm for part of the day isn't going to bother him, they can tolerate warmer temps for a while (as long as it's not going over 90-95 ambient). Are you sure it isn't going to get super hot in the middle of summer though?
Cool! Yes I'm sure now. The night before last I stripped down and just laid on the bed without covering myself because I felt so hot. That's how I used to do in the summer before I got my window unit air conditioner. I've just never known what my exact temperature tolerance was. I swear it feels like 100 degrees when it's only 80. thanks!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
vandrad9
Cool! Yes, the night before last I had to strip down on the bed and not cover myself cause I was so hot. That's how I used to do before I got the window unit air conditioner. I guess it just feels like 100 degrees when it's only 80.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
MrTPlush
I would not buy one until you actually know your daily summer temps. Just because it feels the same as it does in the summer doesn't mean it is really that temp in the summer. I like wearing a t shirt and shorts when it hits 50 degrees in the spring cause it feels like summer. However the temps are not close to summer temps.

Even worse is your issue with the AC. If your temps are going to be all over the place and getting to high you should not be getting a snake.

I'd would hold off until you know you can control the temps 365 days a year.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #14
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
It is my guess that one of the issues is financial. Snakes, no matter how tame, and no matter how well locked up, are characterized as wild animals which means that the owners may suddenly be financially liable for damage claims with very little in the way of argument that can be offered. If there is a wild animal being kept on the premises,the landlord may be included in the liability.
This. I would not want an eviction on my record, it makes it very difficult to find rentals in the future. Get permission first to have the snake.

As for keeping cool, a few years ago we lost power completely for four days after a summer storm. Daytime high temperatures were 102-104*F. We do have a generator but it only provides enough power for the refrigerator, chest freezer, and a few lights, not for running the HVAC.

So, we made "redneck A/C" for the hottest part of the day:
- Take an empty 2 liter plastic bottle and fill it 2/3 full with water.
- Put it in the freezer (a full bottle will crack, one filled 2/3 is ok)
- Once frozen remove it and put it in front of a small fan.
- Enjoy the cool breeze.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
vandrad9
Nice I'll have to try tthat thanks! As far as the eviction goes there's no contacts where I stay. It's a real shady place. El Paso has very cheap rent. I only pay $340 bills included. If I get kicked out I'll just find another place on the fly like I always have. not really worried about it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!