A question about kinks. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
Sena Dragontooth
Question A question about kinks.

I have a beardie who is a little over a year old. Early on, he started developing a kink in his tail and his spine. I thought that it may have been the result of a calcium deficiency, so I started giving her calcium dust on everything, including veggies (when he'd eat them). However, it hasn't gone away. Is it possible that it is genetic? Could there be other reasons? Is there a way to fix it naturally (nonsurgical)? I'm not too worried, but I'm just curious.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Can you post a picture of that for me please?
What type & brand of UVB are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
How old is your UVB light? If you have not been using a UVB light, then he can't properly absorb calcium which can lead to Metabolic Bone Disease.
Also, sometimes, inbreeding too closely will cause kinking of the tail as well.

Tracie

Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Sena Dragontooth
I already have pics up. I believe the bulb is a ZooMed UVB bulb (looks like a flood light). I've had UVB on him since he was only a few weeks old. The bulb I have now is only about 6 months old. I have been doing some extensive research on the matter, and have come to the conclusion that scoliosis is the culprit.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

He may not be absorbing calcium properly because they do not develop curvatures in their spines or tails for no reason. Have you tried using liquid calcium before? That is normally absorbed much easier than the powdered type of calcium.
The UVB should be changed at or around 6 months or so, for maximal exposure.
Inbreeding does cause kinks & curvatures in the spines & or tails, too.

Tracie

Old 12-28-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
bullfrog100000
We have 14 new beardies two of them were born w/ kinls in their tales. They are a little over a month old and most are very big robust babies. I don't see the kinks going anywhere.IE: not being in backs but not going away either. One of them is very distinct. Could it be just from position in the egg when they are born that way? G

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bearded dragon, calcium deficiencies, health issue, kink