Dragon Droppings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
lokeey
Dragon Droppings

Hey all, I have a quick question regarding beardies droppings. My brother's beardies haven't been eating. He said they just stopped all of sudden. So he was recently at the pet shop and they told him that they might be malnourished if his droppings come out white. And they recommended that he feed them mice. Now he fed them mice and they are eating again.

I was wondering if this was true or not. Mojo seems very active and he will on occasion have some white in his bowl movement. I just thought that was due to the calcium.

If so, what are somethings that I can do to improve his nutrition? He currently eats twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening about an hour before I go to bed. I usually give him about 15-20 crickets dusted with calcium powder and greens 'n parsley.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

How old are your brother's dragons?
They are not necessarily malnourished just because they just excrete urates. The white portion is the urate, but if they have not eaten much of anything recently that is most likely what will come out instead of waste material.
Why were they not eating, does he have them under the proper conditions?
Does he use UVB lighting? Are his temperatures all correct?

Tracie

Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
lokeey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613 View Post
Hello,

How old are your brother's dragons?
They are not necessarily malnourished just because they just excrete urates. The white portion is the urate, but if they have not eaten much of anything recently that is most likely what will come out instead of waste material.
Why were they not eating, does he have them under the proper conditions?
Does he use UVB lighting? Are his temperatures all correct?

Tracie
These are Mojo's parents, so I would have to say about 2 1/2 yrs or older. He said they just stopped eating for no reason. He does keep them under proper conditions and is using correctly lighting. I'm not sure about the temps, but I assume that they are over 98F.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Keep in mind too that it's getting to be that time of year and some dragons decide to brumate and go off feed in preparation for this.
I bred dragons for 8 or 9 years and some of mine would remain active and act normally year round while others would find a cooler area in the cage and just pile up for 2 months. I would generally pull these out every week or two to make sure they were hydrated, but otherwise just let them do what they wanted, and they didn't eat during their rest period. Then one day they would be out basking again and waiting on a meal like nothing had happened.
I kept mine in trios usually in quite large cages, so in the winter months there was a corner away from the heat that would get fairly cool, so they had the option to brumate in the cage if they chose to do so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!