Rottweiler questions. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Leighanne
Rottweiler questions.

As many of you might already know my Fiancee Jeff of five years and myself split up. He is keeping the apartment and I am moving out unfortunately to the City with my Dad. He lives in a house that he is renting off of family so Cats and Dogs and whatever is allowed. I am taking this time to work on me. I want to go to College for Zoology and Biology, get my license and many other things. The whole license thing comes with a car to since since my Dad is a truck driver and will only be home two maybe three days out of the week. I won't really have to pay any bills Thank Goodness, and I plan in getting into a Hospital, well paying job and I get to keep most of my money.

In due time I want a Rot. I was raised around them and just LOVE Rotties. Thanks to having Exotics and massive education from here I will be buying everything it should need FIRST then the Puppy. With freed up money the Vet is now a permanent option, for the Ratties, the new Puppy, everybody. I am extremely responsible and feel confident I will be able to handle taking great care of this new friend. I have a few questions though.

I don't believe it being raised in the City will be a huge problem at all even though I prefer the Country. lol This will be my first real Dog though. I had a Rot/Chow mix when I was kid and gave it all the love in the world but was a kid and new nothing of training and all other Dogs in the family were outside Dogs that didn't get this training, time, affectionate or the latter. Some would say no Rotts for a first time Dog but I believe thats bullocks without good reasoning which I haven't heard or read. I have already had plenty of people tell me the usual BS about Rotts being aggressive and it will turn on me no matter what at any given time. Bullocks! I had family that had Rotts and Poodles but I can't stand Poodles. I believe its all in how you raise the Dog. PERIOD, genes have something to do with it I know but little in my opinion.

I'm smart enough to know about the basic overhaul of care its the training I'm more worried about. Does anybody know of any great books on training they could recommend??

The saddest part of it all I think is my computer can't come with me. I was at Pet Co this morning for more Crickets and they have training classes. I know there training YOU and not your Dog and thats fine. I know training takes a lot of love, patience, time and most importantly CONSISTENCY. Its the techniques for certain problems I wouldn't know about. The training classes at Pet Co I am guessing would be a plus for me being the first timer and good for socializing the Puppy. The paper says we'd start with a six week Puppy Education program for $99.95 teaching me or the Puppy, whatever Potty training, socialization, household manners, Basic Commands and Redirecting games to nix nipping and chewing. I would rather learn of these things first because my Dad would not be a happy camper at ALL to have his house chewed up, that and the potty training would be my biggest issues to start.

Then at 6 months old the Basic Education course which includes Problem Solving, Basic Commands and Leadership Skills. I'm not to sure quit what all that means. I went through this whole Forum and have been searching through the internet while I have it. I don't think its a bad idea none the less so long as its approached right which it will be. I'm already daydreaming about Rottweiler door mats, and dog beds and Rottweiler stuffed animals and tons of toys, calling the Vet and asking about what it will need at first for tests, Worms, being spayed or neutered and how much that costs so I know how much to save, and the Dog "Crate" if you will. Somebody told me the Crate was only used to sleep in at night and once their trained they roam freely around the house?

My biggest concern really is time but with having read through a good chunk of this Forum I am now wondering why not. Everybody else works and goes to school, you have to, we have no choice in such matters. It seems to me that if your one of the good Dog "parents" that plays with your best friend when you ARE home, walks them once a day, or at least a few times a week, takes them with you on car rides, that most Dogs get along ok. I am just looking for any kind of info on Rotts and if anybody here has owned any and has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
techgirl
I honestly can't believe you. Sorry to sound harsh but you would make a big mistake owning a Rottie. There is a reason they say they are not for first time dog owners. They will toe the line with you. Can you keep a dog that may very well outwiegh you in place if he/she decides to be boss? Are you going to have enough money set aside in case it gets sick, it won't be cheap. For dogs that size, you should have a separate account just in case of emergencies. What will happen if he/she is aggressive and bites someone? What's going to happen when you move and can't find a place that allows that breed? You'd be surprised how many places don't allow specific breeds or mixes of that breed. We had a Rottie when I was a kid. Was a great dog until for some reason when I was playing with him in the backyard and he decided that he didn't like the foot that was attached to me. It took over 200 stitches and 3 surgeries to reattach my foot. Took 1 bullet from my dad's gun to stop the dog. When a dog of that size and capability gets something in their head to do, you must in all confidence stand up to them and let them realize that you are boss.
Do you realize the extent of responsibility of puppyhood? It is alot of work and effort. You're worried about stuff being chewed? Don't get a Rottie. This is a working breed. These dogs can't afford to get bored, they will find something to do. As for walking, once a day? Try every couple of hours for a puppy and 3 times a day for an adult, more when they get older. Training classes mean squat unless you continue the training at home. If you truly want a dog, I suggest you research alot. Talk to a vet. Go to shelters and talk to people. Talk to breeders. Make a list of what you want in a dog. Activity level, temperment, size, barker or non-barker, socialibility. I loved my whippet and she had temperment issues. I had to euthanize her when she decided she did not like my child. Can you do that if it came to that? My dog was not capable of being rehomed, I was told by many rescues and trainers. Do you realize that if you wish to own a home and they find out you have a Rottie, they may not cover you or charge you an outlandish fee?
Just think about it Kristen. I really don't think it would be a good choice for you.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
kellysballs
In some ways I agree with Tech Girl. I would put off owning a large breed until you own your own home or at least have a stable place to live for the long term. I personally have a Rottie, he is a rescue and came to me as a 4-5 year old calm wouldn't hurt a fly adult. However I pay the price for having a Rot, insurance will be outlandish and if our landlord wasn't a friend of the family I would not be allowed to have him. It is VERY hard to find a place to live when you own a big dog no matter what the breed. I say get a medium sized dog, go online a do research take the quizzes on what you are looking for in a dog. Rotties can be obedient but you MUST be the dominate figure or they will just ignore you, or worse. It's not that Rott's are not a good first time dog owner breed, you just need to know what YOU are looking for in a dog and then look for those qualities in the different breeds.

Puppies are another story all together. Puppies are cute until they eat everything. My first dog after I had my daughter was a 12 week old pit bull puppy. I took him to Pet Smart's puppy classes and he was great we learned all the basic obedience things. They taught me how to train him and he became potty trained and was fairly obedient, however at 6mths old he ate everything in my house. After about 2 months of that I found him a more suitable home, I learned my lesson, NO puppies. I guess my point is; you need to take a good look at your life and figure out where a dog will fit in, how much room, time, and money you have to put into it. I really suggest talking to different breeder's about there specific breeds different characteristics, taking the what dog is right for you tests and assessing you life honestly. It maybe that your best bet is a medium sized dog because you cant say where you will live in the next 10 years. All I'm saying is dont set yourself up for failure. Good Luck I hope you find a dog that best suits your needs.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
Some breeds might be okay with a walk once a day. NEVER less than once a day though.
A rottie is a BIG active working breed, it will need lots of attention and exercise and training. Lots of attention does not mean 'giving it a lot of loving when you are home'. A working dog breed needs things to do, and lots of exercise, and lots of discipline. None of which you mentioned in your post. Loving the dog and thinking well of the breed is not enough to properly and safely keep a large dog like a rottie. They can be hard-headed and stubborn, especially with an absentee owner.
Just giving you the facts as I see them.
Wolfy

Old 06-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Diggy415
i agree with the above statements, i am on my 2nd Rott now, the first one passed away over a year ago of old age and this one is a rott/lab. They are strong headed and will boss you around, mine still finds things to chew even a cap off a milk container. My other rott would literally ram himself against the fence boards as ppl walked by, this one stands over a 3' chainlink fence and can't jump it(yet), certain ppl aren't meant to have rotts, im discouraging a friend of mine who wants one, as she was irresponsible with her GSD and not closing the side gate. I will drop friendships for this reason. they are breeds for certain ppl that i believe. I get compliments on how well behaved mine is when we walk, i stop and he sits im always training or working with him and i love when others notice, it helps ease the breed tension some might have. Make sure you living situation is stable and you are ready for all that comes with this breed.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Stardust
I agree with what most of the people said here. I have not personally had a rottie as I was exclusively into German Shepherds but I do know people that do own them and the GS is in a class of dogs not unlike the rottie.

There are reasons dogs are in categories and there are reasons there are tests out there and people to talk with about which dog is right for you and your situation. It really is not only about someone liking a certain breed so therefore they are going to get that breed. There are many things to take into consideration here. Like you say you are going to go back to school and have a job as well and your Dad will only be home a couple of days a week (if he even wants a dog like that). This type a dog needs serious attention (all dogs esp as pups do but the bigger breeds such as this one needs much more). Where is the pup going to stay during these many hours you are away? Is there going to be schedules for feeding time? Repetition is a key to good breeding and a pup can only take about 20 minutes at a time in training sessions but can still be trained during play time with the owner like touching paws a lot and petting the belly (I have seen large dogs not want to go into this submission position and get mad about it as adults). During feeding time there are lessons to "share" their food to not become food aggressive and also at the same time a partner should be around to teach the dog not to take any food from others. A dog left to its own devices for those periods of time can and will be destructive. Is there a corner of your house in the yard? It will get chewed. Is there even a yard? What kind of fencing is there? How about digging? You would be in a panic if you came home one day and the dog dug his/her way out of the yard. Did you know that dogs do not have a lot of feeling in their necks? So much excess skin there, so as this pup continues to grow at a rapid pace will you be spending enough time with it and training so it does not walk you? You mentioned socializing, with such a dog you will need to get it out there, get it used to all kinds of sounds and distractions on a regular and frequent basis, especially in the city. You do not want your dog pulling you down the streets while other people feel they can not walk safely down the same streets.
Out of all the different types of dogs out there, including mixes perhaps you can do a little more research into it and see if there is a better suited first dog for you that can and will work with your circumstances.
If nothing else think about the dog. This beautiful big block head working dog spending hours and hours a day without anything to do or compainionship. If you were this type of dog would you be happy?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
Leighanne
OK...

Not the Rot. Anybody have any suggestions on Dogs they think would be good for me, a first time owner with a large house.? I HATE Toy Dogs though, the Pug was the ONLY one that looked remotley interesting. I did some Research and Dobbermans looked OK. What is everybody's thoughts on Dobbermans. (People that have owned them.) Thanks

Old 06-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
LadyOhh
Dobermans are in the same class as Rotties. They are a working breed as well.

You need to really look at what you can offer a dog first before looking into getting one.

I would suggest going to a rescue that offers Dobies and Rots, and sit down and talk with them. Also, speak with breeders as well to see what they think of what you can offer the breed.

I would also suggest going to a shelter and just checking out the dogs there.. There are plenty of great dogs there that may not be a specific breed, but are absolute angels and great companions.

Everyone seems to be agreeing here about the dog issue..

Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
techgirl
I agree with Heather. What is with the large breed interest? What is wrong with a medium sized dog? Remember a large dog is going to cost money. Any animal is going to cost you money, but the larger the size, the more it cost for things like food, vet, boarding, etc. Do your research, talk to people that have them, breeders, shelters, rescues. It'll only prepare you for the dog that is best suited for you.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Stardust
Quote:
You need to really look at what you can offer a dog first before looking into getting one.
Very good point and one to take seriously.
What can you give a dog? Take into account what you will be doing, working, school ect.
Figure out the times of the day that you can devote, how much inside time how much outdoor time. After getting your job calculate how much you can afford. Get your work schedule and school schedule then go from there.
Also, what do you want in a dog? Different types of dogs can be companions in different ways that can be enjoyable to you and the dog. There are water dogs, dogs who would love to go on jogs, dogs that don't mind playing fetch but for the most part just want to be by you ect...
There is a dog out there for you, it is a matter of being patient, finding out what you will be doing then finding the perfect companion for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!