feeding question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
breakdown
feeding question

I just fed my boa a fuzzie rat about an hour ago but its too small to fill her up would it be okay to give an average size mouse tonight on top of the fuzzie or is that too much? I'm trying to stick to rats but my local pet store only carries rats that are too big or too small nothing in between. Ideas would be most welcome.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
breakdown
Oh by the way shes about two and a half feet long

Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Feed your snake prey that is as large around as your snakes midsection. That should be about right for an average feeding. a little bigger is OK so long as its not too much larger.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
breakdown
I know but iswitched them to rats and they're eating them well the problem is i dont want them to switch back to mice, but the rats are to big or too small, no middle ground. would two rat fuzzies be better?

Old 06-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
In lieu of a meal that is too large it's OK to feed a second item of smaller size. I do it for a little while (3-4 feedings) before upping them to the next size if I am in between sizes.

Might consider giving Big Cheese a try. Unlike the others, they have different size shipping boxes, so you don't have to buy 300 rats to fill the box with them. They'll choose a box to fit your order. May work out best for you if you have a small collection. It would almost certainly be cheaper than any pet store in the long run.

Hope that helps.
Rick

Old 06-30-2007, 02:35 AM   #6
Leighanne
Whos Big Cheese Please!?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Big Cheese Rodent Factory

Good stuff.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Metachrosis
Their far better then "Good Stuff"
They have magic rats
You feed prey that just slightly smaller then needed and it
automatically swells to appropriate size for a perfect feed everytime

Chad and his crew are the best we have ever done buisness with.They have had to add a second facilty in order to better serve their new found customer base.
Words Out !!Big Cheese is a COMING !

Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis
Their far better then "Good Stuff"
They have magic rats
You feed prey that just slightly smaller then needed and it
automatically swells to appropriate size for a perfect feed everytime

That's what I needed.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
monkeywrench133
When in doubt, I always go with the smaller size. With a juvenile, if I'm low on feeders that are just the right size, I'll drop down a size, but then go from a 7 day feeding schedule to a 5 day schedule.

You want to err on the side of caution because you do not want your boa to regurgitate, which can happen if you give them prey too large. Regurgitation takes a lot out of a boa, especially the younger ones. Regurging takes a lot of fluid and enzymes out of the boas system. With adults, they recover much more quickly because they have more of a reserve, juveniles do not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!