is this a skink? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
skinker96
is this a skink?

hey im new here and i am wondering if this is a skink i cought him in montana around noxon in the bull river area. i have him in a bin on paper towels with some rocks stacked in a cav like shape i have a water bowl, a place to hide with wet moss and some sticks so if you could tell me the requirements and what species of skink he is that would be great thanks

here are some pics

i think he is cool my cousin and friend spotted him so i cought him we were on w hike so i held him in my hand until we got back to camp i took him home to my haouse in wa in spokane valley.

ii also have a heat lamp i used for my anoles but they passed on so i have an extra heat lamp no cage though i have that one occupied with one of my leopard geckos so i dont have a tank i will be getting one but i am using a bin for a temporary cage for now thanks everyone for all the help

sincerely, skinker

Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
Looks more like a species of alligator lizard to me. Not a skink.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Davered00ss
It's a northern aligator lizard.

They prefer cooler temps than most lizards (it occurs in higher elivations)
active during the day. Feeds on insects millipedes spiders and snails.

Live-bearing. grows to 13"

I always wanted a texas aligator lizard.

Great find.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
rosebud945
Alligator lizards are in the same order as skinks, so they are somewhat related, but they are cousins to legless lizards.

I keep my northern in a forest floor type setup with lots of ground cover and a few caves. Then I have a 60 watt eb Megaray over one end, and he LOVES to bask. They do require somewhat cooler temps, but they also need UVB and the usual supplements, and do bask. His basking surface is roughly 95 degrees. Here is a good care sheet.
http://www.anapsid.org/gerrhont.html

Here is my fall baby :

Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud945 View Post
Here is a good care sheet.
http://www.anapsid.org/gerrhont.html
... No.

That is a terrible care sheet.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
rosebud945
Then why don't you provide a better one.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
MDC_Ophiuchus
Alligator lizards are in the Anguid clan, along with plated lizards and glass lizards. Skinks are a separate group.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!