Yogurt, Good or Bad??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
MattandJess
Lightbulb Yogurt, Good or Bad???

I was trying to research new things for my beardies to eat and was wondering if anyone knew if yogurt was good or bad for them. Everything I have read has been kind of inconclusive. If it is good is organic best or does it matter??

Thank you!!!
Jessica

Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Junkyard
I have heard of people using yogurt for their iguanas, this is to help them to keep the proper bacteria in their stomachs for digesting foods. Being as iguanas are known for carring salmonella in their digestive tract, yogurt supposedly kills the salmonella. I have also read that too much may cause reverse affects on the iguanas and remove too much bacteria.

This is all I know really, hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will be able to help you out, being iguanas are vegetarians and better off as only vegetarians I would suspect that your beardies would not need yogurt at all.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
MattandJess
Thank you so much for your help. I just took them to the vet yesterday and found out that they have coccidia and pin worms. I have read a little that the yogurt could help to fight the parasites. But I wasn't sure how true that was. I'm new to the area and I'm not so sure my vet is all that specialized in herps. But i guess i will give 'em a call and see what they say. Couldn't hurt to ask!

Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
Cat_72
I've never encountered coccidia in reptiles, but I have treated it in dogs. We always give yogurt TOGETHER with the actual treatment for coccidia. Yogurt itself does NOT kill any bacteria, it simply helps to replace the "good" bacteria normally found in the digestive tract that is killed by the coccidia treatment, because unfortunately, they have not developed a treatment that is "smart" enough to only kill the "bad" bacteria.

I can't tell you if it would be a good idea to give yogurt to reptiles......but I thought I could give a little bit better understanding of what it actually does.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:23 AM   #5
mikey
according to beautiful dragons website it says:

"Although yogurt can increase the good gut flora, it is now believed that beardies cannot properly digest dairy products."

Check out the nutritional page, excellent website and info on dragon care

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eholachapulin/Nutrition.html

Old 08-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
according to beautiful dragons website it says:

"Although yogurt can increase the good gut flora, it is now believed that beardies cannot properly digest dairy products."

Check out the nutritional page, excellent website and info on dragon care

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eholachapulin/Nutrition.html
I would imagine you're right, dairy products are bad for many animals. Might be ok short term though for treatment uses.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
MattandJess
thank you all for your helpful advice. i tried a little bit with them and they seemed to do ok with it but i don't think there is enough information out there to continue to give it to them. I love them too much to lose them.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
CheriS
Not good for beardies

1. Most grocery store yogurt have little active bacteria in them after processing
2. They are dairy based and bearded dragons digestion does not break down dairy or fats well
2. They contain sugar, sugar feed yeast, yeast increases when an animal is given antibtiocs (such as albon for coccidia or other sulfa drugs) and bacteria decreases, so the LAST thing you want to add to thier digestive system is lots of sugar.
4. There is a product on the market called Acidolphiliz+ that is sold by ReptileSuply.com (under supplements) that we know works well in replacing the good bacteria in lizards and is recommended by most herp vets we know and work with

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!