Concerned over corn - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
tlhsherry
Question Concerned over corn

I am new to snakes. I have always wanted one, but hubby didn't agree until recently. I got a corn. I named him (or her) Sethra.

Seth has never had problems eating. I fed him thawed pinkies until the last time I tried a couple of live ones. He ate 2 pinkies, but I think he had problems with the second one. It looked to me that he had it backwards. Now it looks like his jaw is not straight.

I don't know what to do for the poor guy. He thrashes his head around trying to put it back in.

Should I give him a thawed pinkie? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
WebSlave
This sounds like this JUST happened. I wouldn't worry about it at all, if I were you. Eating comes very natural to snakes and there certainly is no harm in a snake eating prey backwards. It sounds like you snake just stretched his jaws a bit swallowing the meal, but that will straighten up fine in a short period of time.

Of course I am assuming that there is nothing more to this than what you have described.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
tlhsherry
Thanks for the quick response!!

It happened 2 days ago. I have been concerned because last night when I got him out, he was opening his jaw, and I could see that it was still not straight.

If he just needs to work it out, how long will it take? I have not check him today, I wanted to get some additional information before I did.

Old 01-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
WebSlave
Actually I would just leave him alone. Just as there is in plants, there is such a thing as 'benign neglect.' I don't see how the snake could have injured himself just by eating a meal as you described. Of course, you could take him to a vet, and get charged $35 to have him/her tell you that there is nothing wrong with the snake. And if that is worth the peace of mind to you, then by all means do so. But I have found corn snakes to be amazingly resilient and believe that in most cases leaving them alone is the best course of action.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2003, 11:48 PM   #5
tlhsherry
Thank you! I needed to clean out the habitat this evening, and Seth is fine. His jaw did indeed go back into place.

I am planning on feeding him tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help and patience with this newbie here!

Tiffany

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!