Michigan state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:10 AM   #11
sirenofthestorm
Stop! MI Senate Bill 228

I recently became aware of Senate Bill 228 amending the Animal Industry Act (1988)

I found Section 31 to be relevant. Here is a link to the bill in txt format.

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/d...3-SIB-0228.htm

Currently the bill is in committee where it will hopefully be pigeon-holed. Its sponsors are Senators Sanborn (District 11), Hammerstrom (District 17), Birkholz (District 24), Jacobs (District 14), Goshka (District 32), Cropsey (District 33), and Sikkema (District 28). I'm on the south side of GR, and I'll be moving to ypsi for the fall, so none of my representatives are involved in supporting this bill. However I plan on sending letters to each of the senators supporting the bill to let them know exactly how I feel about it.

The Committee bill 228 was referred to was Natural Resources & Environmental Affairs, Chaired by Senator Birkholz, vice-chaired by Patterson, Van Woerkom, Brater, and Basham are also on the committee.

Please, watch this bill carefully and don't let it get out of committee. We can exercise our power as voters and let our senators know that this bill doesn't have the support of their constituents. Thanks for readin the long thread.

-Whitney Scott

Old 07-23-2003, 02:09 AM   #12
Adamanteus
Michigan State Links

State Homepage - http://www.michigan.gov/

State Legislature - http://www.michiganlegislature.org/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.michiganlegislature.org/

Old 07-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #13
evansnakes
I have read over the contents of this bill proposal and do not see why you would be so concerned about it as it applies mainly to quarantine proceedures and health certificates needed for species that may spread disease to wild or farmed populations. The intention here is to prevent mad cow disease and other things of that nature that have been current issues 15 miles from here in Canada. Evan

Old 07-25-2003, 09:20 PM   #14
Dragondad
I agree

I have to agree with Evan here, have read the bill and dont see anything that could cause potential problems. We probably need to keep an I eye on it to be sure nothing is attached if it should move to the floor.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #15
Hammer
County by county, township by township

The information regarding hots is precarious at best here in Michigan. Is there a website that tells someone in Michigan whether or not there is a local ordanance addressing exotics?

Old 05-15-2004, 02:10 PM   #16
Ernest
Just look at how they do bussiness with domesticated animals...Simple resale and i bet you a lot of unwanted animals get slaughtered not as advertised....Heck they cold be shipped to china....This whole thing of "non profit organizations" is baloney as they simply divide the money with the city and get some from the innocent animal loving peoples as well...
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #17
jsrocket
I have looked; have not been able to find any such site. Please post it if anyone knows of one.

Actually, this forum would be a great place for readers to compile what they know about local Michigan ordnances. If enough contribute, we can do it right here!

You need to consider: County Laws
Township Ordinances
City Ordinances

Here's a site which contains a lot of info, but it takes a little searching and navigating to find the info. that we are looking for.

http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/michloc.html

I do not have the time to do all this research, but if a lot of us contributed,
it could be done quickly and easily. So, in order to get the ball rolling, here's what I know for sure:

CITIES of Ann Arbor, Lansing , Detroit all ban hots. No gray area here.

Clinton County prohibits "dangerous exotic animals which would cause a reasonable person to be fearful"...bla. Does not specifically say anything about reptiles, but it might be hard to argue that a cobra, for example, does not fall into this category.

One county down, 81 to go. Not to mention the cities and townships.

One last word: please don't call your local gov't agency and start asking questions like, "Am I allowed to have a diamondback rattlesnake?". The less such things are brought to their attention, the better, especially if there are no laws against hots in your area. Try to find out using the web, library, your lawyer, etc..

I really hope this will turn out to be a good resource for hot keeping Michiganders. Knowledge is Power!

Old 02-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #18
jsrocket
Michigan Reptile Laws

Here's some info I have copied directly from the Michigan Reptile Show website. It talks about reptile laws for some communities in the Motor City area:

In Monroe country the law states that all exotic animals must be registered

with the county.

If you go by the letter of the law this would mean any animal not native

would need to be register .this would include all dogs ,cats, fish, birds,

reptiles, amphibians, spiders, hamsters, ferrets ect. all these are not

native animals unless they were born to the USA . But the animal control officer

seems to think this only means reptiles need to be registered.

A clear case of a law that need to be rewritten.

In Berkley MI the law says

you can have three dogs or cats in any combination . You may not have

fowl. you may have any other animal considered to be a pet .

If you read the law for what it is any animal considered to be a pet

could be anything horse, cow, elephant, python. but in the eyes

of one officer he thought this meant that reptiles were not allowed.

and that birds were allowed except chickens.

A clear case of someone misinterpreting the law .

(I am personally working on this one my self)

Clear laws

Some laws are very clear but still people break law.

As was the case of the canton man bitten by a venomous snake.

I looked up the law my self it says no venomous animals

no means no and venomous means venomous.

CONCLUSION

The laws are different from city to city and from state to state.

please check the laws where you live and if you don't like

the law do something about it. If no one speaks up nothing will

change and someone somewhere will have trouble. The media

only wants to talk about who broke the law.

Be a responsible pet owner and they won't have anything to talk

about. No your laws and your rights. in a perfect world the

law would be written without ignorance and misinformation

and all people would be responsible pet owners. face it in

most cases laws were written because someone pissed

someone else off.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #19
jsrocket
Evan, do you have some links to the news stories you mentioned in the other forum? I would be interested in reading them; did not hear about the recent death. Thanks, Ritchie

Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
jsrocket
If you read the part right at the end, it talks about "toxicological" stuff, and it says that any "exotic" animal imported into the state must be vet inspected (with papers), and housing etc, approved by the "director".

Now I agree that this bill is mainly intended to curb livestock diseases, but it could easily be used to hassle herp owners. But we all know that would never happen...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!