NC law about Dangerous Animals, any news??? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #11
Krj-2501
Well - at present time - there is No statewide laws exists which prohibits/restricts the ownership of large constrictors or large monitor lizards as pets.

For most exotic/wild animals such as wild felines, wild canines, bears, primates, ungulates, and other mammals, also this may include venomous reptiles & crocodilians- the person owning these animals does require an entry permit.

However - there are certain counties and cities with in NC which have more restrictive guidelines/laws. Some of these which may restrict the ownership (without a permit) of large constrictors, and monitor lizards as well. But usually in such cases it is done by size of the animals(no more than 50lbs/22.6 kg in weight, or for large snakes - no more than 10 feet/3.05 meters in total length) - not by the specific species.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:02 AM   #12
millipede
What is an entry permit?

Old 08-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #13
Krj-2501
An entry permit for exotic animals in NC - is basically a Veterinarian certificate acquired from a State certified Veterinarian.

Now according to the House Bill 554 - of the NC General Assembly - which was passed and filed on April, 2, 2015. The term "Dangerous Wild/Exotic Animals" includes the following -
- Canidae - specifically the red (C. rufus) and gray wolves (C. lupus). Does not include domestic dogs, or foxes.
- Felidae - all species of felines - except domesticated cats (F. catus) - which includes Lions, tigers, all Leopards, cheetahs, cougars, Jaguars, and Lynx.
- Hyaenidae - all species of Hyena and Aardwolf.
- Ursidae - all species of Bears.
- Order - Primates - all non human species.

But it does not include any other species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, or insects.

These animals are not permitted to be owned by private owners - unless they have a certification stating they are a certified or accredited (by the AZA) as a Zoo, Circus, or Wildlife Sanctuary. Or if you happen to have owned the animal before passage of this bill - and you have kept it without an incident.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
Phil Bradley
This bill is three years old, unless the bill # has been changed or moved out of the House it is no longer under review.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #15
Krj-2501
Actually as of April, 29 2015 - that bill (HB 554) has passed both the NC House and Senate. So it now likely an official law.

Still I have some claim that the law as effects foxes, and hybrid cats such as Savannahs - but I have not seen any official confirmation of that actually being the case.

Also in some of the newer versions (which passed) - it may be possible for a private owner to get a licensed permit to own foxes, smaller wild felines (& feline hybrids), and some small primates. But I am not 100% certain if this is completely accurate information.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #16
Krj-2501
Quote:
Actually as of April, 29 2015 - that bill (HB 554) has passed both the NC House and Senate. So it now likely an official law.
Actually that was the date when a newer version was filed - not when it passed both House and Senate. But it has passed the NC Senate as of March, 2018

Old 08-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #17
Phil Bradley
What is the current bill number? This is the only information I could find pertaining to HB 554: https://www2.ncleg.net/BillLookup/2015/H554

Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #18
Krj-2501
I have been trying to find out the current law number for this bill - but without any success.

Still I believe it is presently part of NC law. Which is kind of sad - since I believe it goes too far in listing dangerous mammals. I could see - wolves, large cats (bobcats-tiger), all hyenas, & bears, as well a large monkeys and the apes being listed as dangerous. And this would make perfect sense. But smaller canines (foxes), and felines(under 10 kg) as well as small monkeys and primates - should be legal at least with a permit or license.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #19
millipede
I've honestly never heard of this, and I follow many exotic pet groups. Where did you get this info?

Old 08-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #20
Krj-2501
Well - I said I "believe" it is presently part of NC Law. But I have no official confirmation of that as actual fact. That idea/belief is based on - if HB 554 has actually passed the NC Senate. If not - then it is likely a dead bill by now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!