Bad Guy RodentPro- Zoonotic disease warning - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #101
Fishbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauricesExoticPets View Post
Animal food is not USDA regulated.

Current price reflects post outbreak adjustments by Rodent Pro, there has been no major increase in cost to produce mice.

State or federal laws, regulations, or permits if put into place for the feeder industry will effect cost; how much depends greatly on how restrictive they are.

Better breeders will take steps to prevent this from effecting their rodents, which equals their livelyhood. Testing is prohibitively expensive, PCR tests for a number of common illnesses found in a single rodent can cost upwards of $300. Prevention is certainly the key.

If you took the time to find my facebook post that references this topic you can see that I knew about this issue much earlier, initially I somewhat doubted it all as some of you are now. Then I got on the phone, my first verification came from Doug Metcalf.

I think the facts are contained in personal communications not texts or emails or clean easy to link to web pages. What is found in those places though is a total lack of acknowledgment of the existance of this issue by any company be it Rodent Pro or Mouse House.

As for the time frame, Rodent Pro and Mouse House both were placed under quarantine, they did so in reaction to this event not proactivly on a scheduld. There may never be a solid start time to this event.

Maurice Pudlo
Animal food may not be usda regulated, but rodent breeding is. Here is the best document I could find on this...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...w/awlicreg.pdf

There are certainly a few exemptions that rodent pro may be trying to use &/or successfully using, but if that is the case, and if this is true, I would think their exempt status would work against them in the long run.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #102
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone View Post
Animal food may not be usda regulated, but rodent breeding is. Here is the best document I could find on this...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...w/awlicreg.pdf

There are certainly a few exemptions that rodent pro may be trying to use &/or successfully using, but if that is the case, and if this is true, I would think their exempt status would work against them in the long run.
The regulation is they are exempt if they make less than $500 annually(hobby breeder). Anything above that they are required to be licensed for selling them as food. Reptiles luckily aren't part of the USDA rulings

Quote:
Hobby Breeders: Small-scale breeders with gross sales under $500 per year are exempt, as long
as these sales do not include wild or exotic animals, dogs, or cats. If you own no more than three
breeding female dogs or cats and sell the offspring, into the pet channels only, you are exempt.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #103
RichsBallPythons
Only thing on the link provided about mice/rats

Quote:
Institutions Using Only Nonregulated Species: A research institution is exempt if it uses only
laboratory animals exempted by law or regulation. Examples are birds and domestic rats and
mice. Wild species of rats and mice are regulated.
Quote:
Many businesses that buy or sell warmblooded animals, exhibit them to the public, transport
them commercially, or use them in experiments or teaching must be licensed or registered by the
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Normal farm-type operations that raise, or buy and sell,
animals only for food and fiber, and businesses that use only fish and other coldblooded animals
are exempt by law; those that use only rats, mice, or birds are exempt by regulation.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #104
MajorLeagueReptiles
Lack of notification is very unprofessional. I'm VERY disappointed with RodentPro to say the least. MLR will be seeking a new supplier for frozen rodents.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #105
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
So, are we dealing with virus or bacteria ??
lymphocytic choriomeningitis is an enveloped virus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphoc...oriomeningitis

Enveloped viruses can survive freezing for long periods of time:

http://www.biocision.com/uploads/doc...n_Protocol.pdf

Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #106
Lucille
More info:
http://www.nrt.org/production/NRT/NRTWeb.nsf/AllAttachmentsByTitle/A-1009WMDQRGLCMV/$File/07LymphocyticChoriomeningitisVirus(LCMV)QRG.pdf?Op

Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #107
Lucille
Report any release of WMD to the National Response Center 1-800- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus (LCMV) 424-8802. For References, Please See: Key References Cited/Used*
in National Response Team (NRT) Quick Reference Guides (QRGs) for Biological Warfare Agents.
Agent Classification: Biological Type: Virus (Arenaviridae) CDC Class: A Bio-Safety Level: 4
Warning: This virus is highly infectious and causes severe human disease. Responders should only risk exposure if deemed absolutely necessary by Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and infection control practices deemed adequate by SMEs are rigorously observed.
Description: The lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) is an enveloped RNA virus that is transmitted by rodents. This virus is spread through contact with urine, saliva, blood, or feces of infected hosts (e.g., rodents). Airborne transmission and contact with contaminated surfaces is also possible. If weaponized, this virus may be highly aerosol- izable.
Infectivity/Lethality: High/High.
Persistence/Stability: Persistence of these organisms in the environment is not well documented. Extreme caution should be exercised.
Incubation Period: 8-13 days.
Person-to-Person Transmission: Possible by coming in contact with infected persons and bodily fluids.
Treatments: Quarantine of infected individuals is needed to protect caregivers and other patients. Corticosteroids; otherwise treatment is supportive.
Air/Aerosolization: Devices designed to detect aerosolized LCMV are not available. Thus, airborne releases of LCMV are likely to be identified only after exposed persons become ill. Environmental sampling will be needed to test for aerosolization and effectiveness of decon.
Soil/Surfaces: LCMV will most likely pose a non-porous surface hazard.
Water: The viral particles could potentially survive for long periods of time in untreated water.
Other: Depending upon the threat, rodent control might be necessary.
Symptoms may occur within 8-13 days.
Initial signs and symptoms include fever, eye redness, fatigue, dizziness, muscle aches, loss of strength, and exhaustion. Severe cases show signs of bleed- ing under the skin, internal organs, or from body orifices like the mouth, eyes, or ears. Severely ill patients show shock, nervous system malfunction, coma, delirium, and seizures.
Inhalation: Inhalation is the primary route of exposure in the event of a bioterror attack. With LCMV, inhalation of tiny viral particles from rodent feces, blood, urine, saliva, etc. can serve as a route of exposure.
Skin: Direct contact with rodent feces, blood, urine, saliva, bites, etc. can serve as a route of exposure. Transmission can occur through contact with infected persons and their bodily fluids. Infection through cracks in skin and through conjunctiva can occur.
Ingestion: Exposure can occur from eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Eyes: Can be exposed through contact with bodily fluids of infected patients.
Specific Effect Levels Are Unknown. Lethality reflects the relative ease with which an agent causes death in a susceptible population and can be represented quantitatively by the exposed population mortality rates. Arenaviridae are highly lethal. Infectivity refers to how easily an agent can cause disease in a host. An agent is highly infective when few organisms can cause disease. An infective dose is the number of organisms required to cause disease in an exposed person. Given the uncertainties regarding published infective doses for bioagents, it is important to examine what the infectivity numbers represent, including the routes of exposure and the animal species used for the lab studies. Responders should not assume that an infective dose estimate represents a safe level. For instance, for inhalation anthrax and other severe or lethal diseases, the infective dose is the LD50 (a.k.a. “Lethal Dose 50%). The LD50 stands for the dose administered which kills half the exposed population, if untreated. Please contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for more information: (404) 639-3311.
Check with your appointed Health and Safety Officer regarding PPE, Medical Surveillance, and Health and Safety Plan (HASP). Level of PPE may vary depend- ing upon the circumstances of the site and the incident. The PPE Levels listed are general suggestions only and are appropriate only for LCMV; they may not provide protection for the other chemicals that workers may be exposed to during response/recovery operation.
Baseline: Annual physical and respiratory function exams.
Treatments Available: Quarantine of infected individuals is needed to protect caregivers and other patients. Corticosteroids; otherwise treatment is support- ive.
During Incident: Conduct medical monitoring; use PPE as designated by the HASP; document PPE levels used; observe for fever and other signs and symp- toms as listed under Health Effects, and ensure medical attention is provided as soon as possible if necessary.
Post Incident: Monitor for signs/symptoms and ensure medical attention is provided as soon as possible if necessary.
Contaminated PPE, equipment, or surfaces can be decontaminated with a dilute household bleach solution. Household bleach is 5% sodium hypochlorite. To create a dilute bleach solution, add household bleach to water (add 1 part bleach to 9 parts water) yielding a 0.5% sodium hypochlorite solution. Use warm soapy water for personal/skin decon, taking care to avoid abrading the skin.
Emergency Response to a Suspected Biological Incident: The following recommendations are based on CDC Interim Recommendations for the Selection and Use of Protective Clothing and Respirators Against Biological Agents: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/documentsapp/A...otect.aspt.asp

ONSET
SIGNS/ SYMPTOMS
EXPOSURE ROUTES

CONCERNS
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE
FIRST AID/ DECON
PPE
PPE
Pressure-demand SCBA with Level A protective suit.
Pressure-demand SCBA with Level B protective suit.
Full-facepiece respirator with P100 filter or PAPR with HEPA filters. Disposable hooded coveralls, gloves, and foot coverings.
CIRCUMSTANCES
• Event is uncontrolled.
• The type(s) of airborne agent(s) is unknown.
• The dissemination method is unknown.
• Dissemination via an aerosol-generating device is still occurring.
• Dissemination via an aerosol-generating device has stopped, but there is no informa-
tion on the duration of dissemination, or what the exposure concentration may be.
• The suspected biological aerosol is no longer being generated. • Other conditions may present a splash hazard.
• An aerosol-generating device was not used to create high airborne concentration. • Dissemination was by a letter, package, or other material that can be bagged, con-
tained, etc.
Other Workers: PPE recommendations for workers other than emergency responders must be developed in the HASP for the specific scenario, as noted previously. PPE recommendations will vary by job type (cleanup, decon, rodent control, medical, etc.), type of exposure (airborne or surface/liquid/soil hazard), and any additional site hazards that may need to be considered (chemical, physical, etc.).
Since there is no field detection, LCMV is only identified once patients present with symptoms

Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #108
Scottico
I understand the concerns raised in this thread. I myself purchased both mice and rats from Rodent Pro in early April and have emailed them about the situation. But I also appreciate Waffa's post earlier in this thread. I'm concerned that we may be overreacting to the alleged threat of this alleged virus.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #109
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottico View Post
we may be overreacting .
Like anything else on the BOI, people are free to read information here and form their own opinions. There is no 'we', it is not necessary that all of us have the same opinion about either business issues or health issues.
There are two separate issues here: How Rodent Pro handled this issue, and the level of risk people face on exposure to lymphocytic choriomeningitis in general.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #110
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Those of us with immuno-compromised family members greatly appreciate this thread being posted.
My wife is ill and has to take weekly shots and it suppresses her auto immune system. She has Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus.
The only good thing is i havent used RP in quite awhile.

What i would like to know is how do the rats get this? I breed my own and would
not like to be the cause for my wife to get sick from this.
Any help or references would be much appreciated ! What prevention to use. I clean out my cages every 3 days and wipe clean with Chlorhexidine 2%.
Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!