When Will People Learn "Goods and Services" - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
morbidangel
Yeah it seems crazy to me too. The extra $10-$20 is not worth me loosing several hundred and not receiving what I paid for. I am starting to not feel sorry for people.

Insomniac I like what you sais here!
Sorry don't know how to box it off.

To me, it's a matter of principle. Can I afford the extra 3%? Of course, but it is the responsibility of the seller to absorb those costs.

Perhaps PayPal could show more information on their site, when people click the F&F tab. I can't remember precisely what the wording is now, but maybe if people choose that method of payment, a dialog box should pop up, stating that, basically your money is irretrievable, and are you sure you want to send it.

My husband and I send money to the kids in college, all the time. That's the only reason to use F&F, in my opinion.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
Mistyck
I don't understand the whole, "Trying to be nice" thing. If a seller is using Paypal, then they are getting charged the 3%. If you hate the fact you're being charged that amount, then raise your price to where you're comfortable with absorbing it. It may take you longer to sell your item (animal), but you already have a built in shock absorber.

If a buyer wants to be "nice" (such a dumb word in business...) then pay the 3% on top of it. Which I still think is asinine as it's not the buyers responsibility to be "nice" and pay extra so the seller feels warm and fuzzy.

Either way, when people send money for goods/services via Friends & Family, I almost loose all respect for them. They screwed themselves from the beginning and then are suprised when they get taken advantage of. (Not saying all sellers would do that.) If a seller asks to have the money sent that way, then that pretty much means I shy away and don't do business with them.

It's just a strange concept to me that people willingly do that....

Old 02-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #13
Herps Alive!
Great points here. As anon-profit, we often have people who want to donate to us and send Friends and Family so we don't have to pay (and we pay a reduced percentage). We always tell people to use Purchase goods or services for supplies or rehoming fees. To eliminate any conflict, we recently signed up for and were approved as a PayPal Giving Fund Charity. People donate through the giving fund, there are no fees, but more importantly there is no deception or rule breaking going on. PayPay was even providing a 1% match on donations for quite awhile.
I know it does not apply to everyone, but it is the way we have chosen to go.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
Insomniac101
Keith,

The way you have your non-profit set up, is how it should be. I just view the F&F thing as, your money is gone (regardless of intended purpose), and it's irresponsible and unrealistic to expect any recourse, when you basically have sent someone a gift. Sure, you may have documentation with emails or texts, but if it came down to litigation, you agreed to give your money to someone, with the understanding of no buyer protection.

And kudos to you in your rescue work!

Kathy

Old 02-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
morbidangel
So apparently people are OFFERING to pay through friends an family. Just last night I had someone make an offer on my snake that I have posted and asked to make payments via paypal "friends and family"

I turned down the proposal and told the potential buyer to please use "goods and services" in the future when they are sending money to strangers. Told said person to protect themselves as there are a lot of people out that who will talk advantage of the situation.

Blows my mind that people don't want protection on the money they send out.

Keith

As far as donations go I do not see why people cannot pay "friends and family" its not like they are getting/buying anything from you. They are only donating so the money is gone either way. I am just curious if people get tax write offs from their donations and how would the go about getting proof of a donation? I guess paypal sends a receipt, or is that why you have it set up as a donation thing now?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!