Georgia state law issues - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:30 PM   #31
ZX11
Forbidden animals can be legally transproted through GA, but their stay is not to exceed 24 hours. That is straight from the DNR's "no-no" list. I have had many animals I have brought through and always made them aware of this-----before, during and afterward.
As for the DNR's "expert", I have met this old man and I wonder if he is just senile or what....... Could not id most of my snakes and used MY books for reference.
I have concluded that the DNR agents are wannabe cops that were too stupid to make the regular police force-- and they aren't too bright, either.

Michael Parkinson

Old 01-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #32
ZX11
There are alot of keepers here in Ga, SE GA to be exact. The areas that cause us the most problems are idiots that think keeping an EDB is cool. I have folks call me frequently offering "this thing" because the kids don't like them in their bedrooms and other beyond stupid antics like that.

I welcome anyone that wants to come to this area for herping and will guide them to some very good areas. I have gotten to the point of not collecting, but would rather shoot the animals with the camera.

Michael Parkinson

Old 02-02-2004, 01:03 AM   #33
JohnHarper
Wink Where in Ga are you?

I would like to try and get the laws changed here in Ga so we can have corn snakes would you like to see that law changed?

Old 02-02-2004, 06:58 AM   #34
dvf1973
I am in Savannah as well

I wonder if we should combine the 2-3 other threads on this subject, anyway Im in for the owning of, not cool with the collecting, that would inevitably kill any bills we are trying to change.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:58 PM   #36
ZX11
I am in Brunswick, Ga.
The current laws are by far outdated and certainly in need of change to reflect the current populations' attitudes.

30years ago, the thought of keeping snakes was veiwed as "evil"or "cult driven" or, worse, the animals were kept by "satan worshippers".
Today, people of all walks of life keep these beautiful serpents. We are a hobby of varied, professional backgrounds. Every walk of life has been touched by, or influenced by, reptiles.

I wish I had the time to draft a bill to send to the senate floor updating the current laws.

Think of this: A harmless snake is illegal. You cannot have it because it, or one of its relatives came from the wild. By keeping such an animal, you are disturbing the balance of nature--- or at the very least, endorse the disturbance. This is what made Hitler famous. Propaganda. Plain and simple.

But, on the other hand, if you kept a venomous snake, you are not upsetting the balance. You are providing a service, secret service, if you will. You have taken something so vile, so dangerous from nature. And that is ok.

Go figure.......

The DNR has "requested" that roundups be terminated. Why were there no demands???? It is a political " I'll stroke yours, if you stroke mine" game. Claxton claims they need the extra income the roundups bring. Hmmmmm, ok, lets' trade the balance of nature for revenue. Sounds good to me. Prime example of backward ass, country bumkin thinkin'.

Another point to consider: You can have venomous snakes in Ga. But, when the Family and Children Services discover that you have them.. Watch out. You can and will be brought up on charges of "child abuse", "child neglect", and "child endangerment". You can lose your kids. But, they will not tell you that you cannot have the animals. If you chose to have snakes, they will force you sign a "saftey plan" which forbids you of having any snake that can exceed 5ft or is venomous.
Refuse to sign, lose the kids. But, again, they will tell you this is voluntary-- you do not have to sign. You decide. It is your right as a Georgia citizen.

An idea for a new law would, and should, include a well scribted plan for the keeping of venomous. All venomous should also be registered with the local DNR office and have minimun caging standards. Permits should be issued at a reasonable cost, say $50.00 per year for the COLLECTION-not per animal. Keepers should also have to provide homeowners insurance. As for species normally found Ga, non-venomous should have a non-venomous permit and venomous should have venomous permits that cover venomous and non-venomous species. Collection size should only be limited by what the person can reasonably afford. We certainly do not want welfare reciepents housing 400 snakes, do we?

Age requirements should follow with the drinking age. A bit extreme, yes, but do we want a 16 year old playing with cobras in the front yard? We want someone that is of age mentally to have these.

Before South Carolina updated the states' current laws, I spoke with the commissioner about what should and should not be made law. He was very polite and cheerful to discuss this issue with me. Many hours of conversation were spent on the phone. Our veiws were different, but ran paralell. What we discussed is now law. I feel good about that. It is there, but not restrictive. Permits now cost money, but are affordable. I do not live there, but am told the laws a very fair.

If only I could do something about Ga, now. But, the "good ol' boy" system is working against me. I have had many conversations with the DNR here and the guys and gals in the field agree with my plans. Herpers agree with my plans. The closed minded individuals in the office refuse to hear any of it. Why??? I think there are some kickbacks and backroom stroking going on. They refuse to change anything. Why? They have nothing to gain, or lose................. or do they??????

Michael Parkinson

Old 02-02-2004, 10:26 PM   #37
JohnHarper
Thumbs up proposed petition/reptile reform

ok I was able to find a free online petition site
heres the petition to change the reptile laws in ga

if you want to see the laws changed then sign it its that simple

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/reptile/petition.html

Old 02-03-2004, 12:57 AM   #38
ZX11
I looked at the petition and found it to be too vague. Do you know of a site where one can introduce a "bill draft"?

I would be more than happy to draft one if such a site exsists. Fine tuning, of course, would require an attorney.

If no such site, perhaps I will find the time to start a more precise petition that cannot be misconscrued, or left open for individual interpetation.

I also noticed that only three people signed on. Any takers on the vague petition?
Michael Parkinson

Old 02-03-2004, 01:58 AM   #39
JohnHarper
Post I don t think its vague

I agree that no one under the age of 18 should be allowed to keep venomous and some 18 years olds shouldnt be allowed either too keep venomous. $50 dollars a year permit would be high. in most states collecting fees of native non venomous snakes are around $30 or $25. I dont see the law being changed anytime soon and it wont probably be by the time i finish my web design degree and relocate to Florida.Congress does not see it as an issue to change the law and before any laws can be changed they have to aprrove of it. I think theres enough reptile keepers in Ga to make the law be changed but then theres alot of keepers in Ga who do keep native non venomous and this makes the legitimate keepers look bad. I pulled the petition from when the dnr met the last time and they acutally tried to change the law. this was in 2002.

have you heard of www.nosnakeban.org
on that site you can find your representative and contact.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #40
KathyLove
Michael,

Could you tell me (or show me) the section of their code that states the 24 hour transportation rule? I would like to make a copy of it to take with me if I have to travel through there on the way to a show. Bill looked through the rules and didn't see it. But maybe we were looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!