Can a heat rock substitute for a heat rock? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-18-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Geega
Can a heat rock substitute for a heat rock?

I have a green anole, and the book that I read before I got him said that you need a heat lamp, but it also mentioned heat rocks. I was wondering if I could use a heat rock instead of a heat lamp. And before everybody says how bad and dangerous heat rocks are, just let me say that my heat rock automaticly turns of once the tempeture of the surface of the rock gets hot enough that it might burn the lizard.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #2
Geega
sorry. I ment can a heat rock subsistute for a heat lamp

Old 07-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
jenn_jeffery
I still wouldn't. Heat rocks are notorious for getting 'hot spots' and anoles in the wild 'bask' in the sun, not sit on the ground....

Old 07-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
The Reptile House
Not to mention

There hjave been people that there reptiles spilled there water bowls and then were electricuted. They are just bad all around. Too many reptiles get burned.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
John E Dove
As Jen_Jefry pointed out Anoles are baskers. Yjey seek heat srom the sun not the ground per se. Even safe ground heat sources like under tank heaters on a rheostatic switch are not recommended for Anoles.
John E Dove

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!