Baby Sea Krait determined to land - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Talking Baby Sea Krait determined to land

Just had to show these pics of a baby Banded Sea Krait, Laticauda colubrina, determined to come up on a resort beach in Fiji.

It was in the surf coming to the beach in the middle of a resort (where it would have caused great alarm and despondency, not to mention mass panic and possible snake slaughter), so I moved it to a quieter location, but it was absolutely determined to come ashore - every time I put it back into the sea it turned around and came right back up.

They do come ashore to warm up, digest, shed, and give birth, and this one was so small it might have been a neonate, so I wonder whether they spend a lot of time on land when new born?

Anyway, it was too cute not to share, hope you enjoy.

Link to a thread with pics of a larger individual seen when diving are here:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=265029
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Wayne Fowlie
What a beauty! I have to drive the L.A. fwys to see a Laudicauda colubrina in a tank at Aquarium of the Pacific!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!