My Nosy Be won't eat since i got 'em. HELP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
oxnardCHAM
Exclamation My Nosy Be won't eat since i got 'em. HELP

I just got a 1 yr old Nosy Panther. The dealer i got him from said he was eating fine and eating from their hand, crickets and mealworms. I've got him in a 6ft tall, 4 ft wide, 3.5 feet deep cage, all open with plastic mesh. I've got him under a 7% UVB, and a heat light. Plenty of live plants and branches and vines. He's also shedding as soon as i got him. Is he just tryin to adjust? Ive put crickets in front of him, and he focuses on it with both eyes like he's gonna eat it, but he doesn't. I have experience with chams, i have a meru jacksons and a werners. Somebody please help me with some insight!
Thanks
Ryan

Old 07-31-2005, 03:03 AM   #2
mattjillson
I'd say you've just have to back off and give the animal a good day of no interaction and from there for a good week of very limited so he can calm down. Sounds like you have a stressed animal is all. Try to mix up the food items a bit and try to see if he'll cup feed.

With cup feeding you'll be able to give him privacy and to keep track for what and how much he eats. Free range is great too, just harder to keep track of how much he eats but keep away from hand feeding right now. The key is to give him private time to get used to the new surroundings and he'll eat eventually. Also make sure your temps aren't getting too hot as that will cause the animal to pass on food.

From what you describe he is a reasonable sized, CB animal, he won't waste away if he doesn't eat for 2 or 3 days. Just make sure to keep him well hyrdrated if he goes on "strike" and eventually he'll come back to the light. Pics of the animal and setup wouldn't hurt to get more opinions. Good luck and keep us posted.

-Matt

Old 08-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Laura Fopiano
I used to keep many Jackson's and Werner's, they are a mountain species that live in cooler climates. Defiantly check your day and night time temps and humidity. Panther's like warmer humid climates. Don't over whelm him with too many prey items.
Just give him time to acclimate to his new environment and he'll be just fine. Enjoy your new friend, they are the most amazing creatures and I miss mine.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
DeVackHerps
how long have you had the cham.? also if he is streesed i would put a cloth over the cage on like the sides where people walk past, but keep some sides open for air flow, like the back and top. with him being coverd will make him think hes alone and he will calm down. well good luck with your panther! they truly are stunning animals. also post a pic if you can, i always enjoy looking at them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!