Intermediate level snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
demonss
Intermediate level snakes?

Hello all, i am looking for a little bit of advice on what types of snakes would be an upgrade in care requirements, size etc. Currently i have a columbian boa and a corn snake. I'm really just interested in knowing what i should be researching for the future.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
hhmoore
You should research snakes that interest you. There are many species that will require more detail oriented husbandry - including boas, pythons, and colubrids.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
demonss
Thank you, i'm researching blood pythons and brazilian rainbow boas currently. I'm still a long way to go but i like to research as possible in the meantime.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
oneofakinduserid
Bloods, all the way! I absolutely love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
bcr229
I have several BRB's and I think they are considered intermediate due more to their husbandry requirements than their temperments. While babies can be nippy they grow out of it with consistent, gentle handling.

If you get the right equipment to maintain the humidity they need (think PVC reptile enclosure vs fish tank) they're really no more difficult to deal with than a BCI or ball python.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
EmeraldBoid
At this point, if you have consistent husbandry and maintanence routines, a lot of species are open to you. I second bloods, I love mine and I would also recommend carpets and possibly other morelia if you like.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
demonss
I'm constantly finding new stuff that i like but the bloods and brbs stand out the most to me. I like arboreal snakes but most of them need larger enclosures i would think.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
BRBs are beautiful and can be fun to hold, mine was always on the move when I had him out, kind of like the personality of a corn snake in a boa's body. Mine hung out either in his hide or in the water bowl most of the time.

If you are interested in something that would be more for display, I highly recommend Amazon Tree Boas. They are small and come in a variety of colors, they usually hang out perched and generally sleep in a coil on the floor of the cage (will use a hide if offered). Adults can be kept in 20" cubes, 24" cubes or a nice 18x36 size and have pretty easy to maintain temps, high humidity, they are generally bitey which is why I say 'for display'.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
demonss
it looks like i may be going with the brb, they are more readily available locally but i am still open to suggestions.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!