How to take DNA samples from snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Question How to take DNA samples from snakes?

Does anyone have a method of taking tissue from snakes for DNA analysis? Or can you direct me to anyone likely to know?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
SamanthaJane13
I need to find someone who can tell me how to get a DNA sample from a Rhac. Leachianus. There's a baby on Pangea that may be the result of parthenogenesis!! http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ad.php?t=33036

Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
JordanAng420
Here is a website that makes DNA necklaces out of samples from your pet.

http://perpetua.us./

They don't say what to do about reptiles, but when I called, I actually spoke to a veterinarian who answered all my questions. I ended up going the blood draw route, but i'm sure they could answer any and all questions you guys have about DNA sampling.

Edit: Oops, they do talk about reptiles. They want blood. But like I said, call them and see what your other options may be. THey're wonderful.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
SamanthaJane13
Actually, the baby is less than a month old, and the owner is sort of hesitant to have a blood draw at this point, but is interested in proving that Mommy is the only parent. Also looking for a place to have the sample tested...for a reasonable price.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Thanks, I'll follow these up - don't want to draw blood if an oral swab (or at a HUGELY over-optimistic stretch) a shed skin would work...

Thanks again for the input, would be very interested in an update on the possible parthogenesis.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
SamanthaJane13
I'll definitely keep you updated, Helen!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Helenthereef
I jut has two herp scientists here working on a list of Fiji's reptiles, and they say that actually it can be possible to get DNA from a shed - the trick is to handle it right (probably surgical gloves wouldn't be a bad idea).

Do not allow it to come into contact with any other snakes or sheds, air dry it completely, store in a clean new Ziplock bag with as much air squeezed out as possible, at room temp, or better yet, in the fridge.

I'm going to start storing sheds for them and we'll see if eventually analysis can be done.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
SamanthaJane13
Sharing this link the parents of the leachie baby!!!

Thank so much, Helen!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
AbsoluteApril
Could you possibly get DNA from the shed skin?

oops lol I posted before reading all of the replies. I heard Dr. Booth talking on KS about testing for parthogenesis and he was using shed skins from the mother and babies.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Could you possibly get DNA from the shed skin?

oops lol I posted before reading all of the replies. I heard Dr. Booth talking on KS about testing for parthogenesis and he was using shed skins from the mother and babies.
Great minds thinking alike! I think carefully preserved sheds could work. Would be nice to get confirmation from anyone who's actually done it though.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!