West Africa Buyer?? Ever heard of them or this? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:56 PM   #11
Techoverload
Old Scam new market

I have been selling stuff on ebay for years including 6 cars and everytime I get an email from a out of country buyer (usually africa but sometimes from other countries.

Here is how the scam works out:

1. you get a check (always forged but from many sources, insurance cashiers, payroll...etc)

2. you deposit the check wich will usually clear your account intially because the federal bank only does a check amount authorization from the issuing bank to verify the amount is available and holds the funds.

3. You take your money and forward the balance to the "shipping company/ person"

4. you ship the product (cars usually leave the countrie much the same way as stollen vehicles by unmarked cargo containers headed for mexico, the philipins, cuba or the such) animals may have the same fate but I would guess they are resold in the states

5. meanwhile the check clears the fedral reserve (ALL CHECKS GO THROUGH THE FEDRAL RESERVE BANK FIRST) and heads to the check issuers bank where it promptly recoitets like a bullet in a tank.

6. the check is retuned to your bank wich the funds are reclaimed from and possibly a criminal investigation started for passing a forged check (remember it has YOUR name on it and you signed it)

7. your out your product and the FULL amount of the check, the seller keeps your merchadise PLUS the "extra money for the shipping company"

as a note this scam works the same basically as most scams from Africa and the reason they are mostly from there is there government doesnt seem willing to do anything to stop it. I get at least one email a day from so and so's wife, son, daughter, cousin...etc that had someone at a bank or running a business or in the government killed and need to get the money out of the countrie..... usually millions of dollars...... these scams have even ended end the death of americans who flew to africa to meet with said people.

if you are approached dont worry to much about the person from africa as they are virtually untouchable but DO find out who will be picking up the merchadise and alert the local police and FBI as these people will be prosecuted and or deported.

sorry for the book but thought I would clarify exactly how this scam breaks down and works. The worst part is not only are you out whatever you sold them but also the full amount of the check and the get to keep the money and the product.

for a good read about the flaws in the banking system check out this guys story.... he deposited a junk mail advertising check for $59,000 just to see what would happen and it cleared!!!!

http://users.rcn.com/pcombs/$$tablecontents.html

long story but worth the read

Old 05-15-2003, 11:34 AM   #12
Asuncion7
Exclamation Glad I asked!

Thanks for all the replies! As soon as I made it clear I wouldn't take the check and that they had to pick up when my husband was around (he's just real big and mean looking), they stopped emailing me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!