"Diluting" BOI threads? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
ThomasHicks
"Diluting" BOI threads?

Perhaps just a general question, but why are BOI threads allowed to get over 10 pages long? IMO, it's somewhat contrary to the point of the forum. When potential buyers want to do some research on their buyer/just follow a thread on a "bad guy" out of curiosity and see 500+ posts, it's quite intimidating and nearly impossible to read. I just feel that the point would come across much better and the thread would actually be follow-able if the thread was somehow condensed.

I'm probably going to get some heat for this, but I also don't see why every member takes it upon themselves to play sheriff/rep-hound and participate in the judging of transactions they had no place in. I mean, I understand the basic premise of the forum, "The Truth Comes Out In the BOI" and such, but it's gotten so excessive that to onlookers the whole point of the thread doesn't even come across and they basically just get lost in it. Is many people's sense of importance really so inflated that they feel we care about their "two cents?" Don't mean to sound offensive, I'm just being realistic here, do you honestly believe potential buyers want to wade through 10 pages of holier-than-thou judgements, personal vandettas and blatantly useless garbage just to understand what really went on with someone?

Like the infamous "Wise Thread" for example, from bits I've read, people are interested in sending the thread out to a bunch of people, police, the church, etc. Do they really think they're going to look at and interpret a thread that outrageously staggering? Seriously folks... just think about it, is a 10+ page thread more usefull to anyone than it is useless?

TBH

Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Lucille
I guess if you want something streamlined, dumbed down, and short you could volunteer to have a 'Cliff's Notes' section.

But how much you would lose. You'd lose hearing what people you respect think of an issue. You'd lose the nuances as buyers and sellers try to make excuses and bs out of the fact that they were caught redhanded in a scam.

But most of all you'd lose the sense of community. The Wise thread was long, but it showed how Fauna folk helped each other.

Is there some drivel? Inevitably, yes. Do some threads beat the horse even after it has started to decompose? Yes.

But to me, the vast majority of what is said here is thoughtful and said with feeling. And the posts work together to make the BOI the place of choice when reptile buyers or sellers are contemplating a transaction.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
FosterHerpetological
Yes, when it comes to boi, I know it gets very long and strung out sometimes, but I personally like hearing everyones opinion

Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
WebSlave
Just not going to happen, I'm afraid.

Management CAN'T create a condensed version, because we would be editing the material and therefore legally liable for what others say in the thread as co-authors.

Creating an arbitrary cutoff point of any length of thread would be self defeating in some cases, as suppose something truly eye opening would have shown up on the very next post and the member who was going to post it doesn't feel it is worthwhile to create an entirely new thread? That is also the reason that we rarely ever LOCK or ARCHIVE threads, as any thread ever posted here is eligible to be reopened at any time if new information becomes available that is pertinent to the topic.

So how about as a last resort getting members to voluntarily cut out all the off topic and oblique chatter that goes on? Yeah, well, good luck with that.......

Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Utta
Quote:
do you honestly believe potential buyers want to wade through 10 pages of holier-than-thou judgements, personal vandettas and blatantly useless garbage just to understand what really went on with someone?
If they seriously care about their purchase, you bet your . i know i have. a long read of "holier-then-thou(BTW, pot, kettle, black) judgments(fixed your typo)" is good. if people didn't post what they thought/think the scum would win. i don't know how many times Dennis Hultman's 2 cents exposed more truth that the bad guy really is a scumbag. and if he didnt post that, or anyone else, and let that info fly under the radar, then people like the Wises really do win.

do YOU want money stolen from you, and have people not help you get it back or help other people stay away from them?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Just not going to happen, I'm afraid.

Management CAN'T create a condensed version, because we would be editing the material and therefore legally liable for what others say in the thread as co-authors.

Creating an arbitrary cutoff point of any length of thread would be self defeating in some cases, as suppose something truly eye opening would have shown up on the very next post and the member who was going to post it doesn't feel it is worthwhile to create an entirely new thread? That is also the reason that we rarely ever LOCK or ARCHIVE threads, as any thread ever posted here is eligible to be reopened at any time if new information becomes available that is pertinent to the topic.

So how about as a last resort getting members to voluntarily cut out all the off topic and oblique chatter that goes on? Yeah, well, good luck with that.......
also, why start a new thread when one already exists? if there is a cut off point in a thread, it would cause more clutter.

ex: one of Ed Clark's, or Wendy Childs' threads and multiple people different experiences with them.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
dustinntech
I completely agree that the BOI is horribly diluted! In my opinion (and I believe everyone is entitled to their own and I'm not bashing on others opinions) the threads should only have posts by people who are directly involved with the topic of the BOI...

I think the BOI is a great tool, but there is absolutely no point for someone to go out of their way to post something like "post pictures and more proof" or "i wonder when [so and so] will respond". All that chatter just makes it hard for other people to read what is going on! 100+ opinions from people that have no affiliation with the topic of the thread shouldn't be what makes people decide on what they think about the person, it should be the facts of what someone has really been through!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Utta
but what if you're not directly related but still have facts that you can share from doing a little research?

or have a great question for the OP/BG that exposes more truth on the subject?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinntech View Post
I completely agree that the BOI is horribly diluted! In my opinion (and I believe everyone is entitled to their own and I'm not bashing on others opinions) the threads should only have posts by people who are directly involved with the topic of the BOI...

I think the BOI is a great tool, but there is absolutely no point for someone to go out of their way to post something like "post pictures and more proof" or "i wonder when [so and so] will respond". All that chatter just makes it hard for other people to read what is going on! 100+ opinions from people that have no affiliation with the topic of the thread shouldn't be what makes people decide on what they think about the person, it should be the facts of what someone has really been through!
I am sorry, but you have COMPLETELY missed the entire point of the existence of the BOI.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
dustinntech
I guess I didn't necessarily phrase it how I meant, I don't think it's a bad thing for people
to be posting questions pertaining to the subject when someone has an actual question about the person the post is about, but there is a group of people who go around on every boi asking for more proof etc when it is unnecessary. It seems like if you go through 90% of the boi topics, most of the posts are useless when it comes to the actual subject.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!