BP Genetics Question,How Is This Possible? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
WillArt
BP Genetics Question,How Is This Possible?

So,I have this normal female I got last year that I paired with a pastel,which did lock this year.When I purchased her she was paired with a spider already and possibly gravid from the spider pairing.The gentlemen I purchased her from only had her for a short time and unsure of her history before this.Since then she has laid and after pipping I have cut the eggs,still waiting for them to emerge from there slumbers.Heres the thing though,she laid 9 healthy eggs and all 9 of them are spider and I am not completely sure of that either?There is not one normal in that clutch and they look almost pewter.No color to them at all!Hard to see exactly,but what I know for sure is no normals! How and has this happened to anyone before?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Since the Spider morph is a dominant trait, it's (rare but) completely possible that you could end up with all Spider babies. It's just a roll of the dice for each baby, and it sounds like you got all '7's.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
redhood23

Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
WillArt
Thanks for the info
, I gave that thought,but reverted back to same rules apply as co-dom. Learn something new every day I guess. Lucky me! Nice spiders too

Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Toby_H
^Yup, in a Spider x Wild Type (Normal) pairing, each egg has a 50% chance of being Spider...

Just like when you roll a single 6 sided die, you have a 50% chance of the number on the die being odd...

In your case, having 9 eggs each with a 50% chance of being Spider and all of them proving to be Spider... is like rolling 9 dice and all of the numbers displayed being odd. While the odds are against it, it is totally possible.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
rcpreis3
If I read that correctly u said u bought her last breeding season after she was paired with a spider, then bred her to a pastel this year and got all spiders? AMAZING!!!! Screw the odds, the only way u could be luckier is if they were all females!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Wolfy-hound
Th Egg Gods smiled upon your clutch. I had a spider male that never sired a non-spider in the clutches I got from him. Now if I could just get that kind of odds with any other clutches...

The babies probably look extremely pale because they haven't finished coloring up yet. Wait until they hatch out and have the first shed before you decide on the coloration. Lots of early hatchlings will appear pale then darken with the first shed. I saw it with my clutches(even in non-spiders).

Good luck and congrats!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
WillArt
Update !

All doing well.Yes she was paired with the pastel,but apparently retained the spider instead.Six out of nine were female,so not that lucky but very close!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
rcpreis3
w000000w....
congrats!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
kclack2727
congrats on the odds!!! I hope I get one of my females to lay 9 bees out of a clutch I would probably shed a tear lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!