Bad Guy Bad experience with Family Reptiles - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #71
meowmeowkazoo
Just so you know, bearded dragons shouldn't have red heat bulbs. They cause blindness and sleep disturbance. It's an unnecessary and even harmful item to sell to pet owners.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 AM   #72
mmarie341
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeowkazoo View Post
Just so you know, bearded dragons shouldn't have red heat bulbs. They cause blindness and sleep disturbance. It's an unnecessary and even harmful item to sell to pet owners.
Thanks, it was my first bearded dragon but after I did my research on care for the reptile I removed the red bulb. Thank you though.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 AM   #73
LauraB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarie341 View Post
Hey guys,
... When I got home right away the red heating lamp bulb did not work, ...
Then when Sarah Haynes, AKA meowmeokazoo suggests that a red light heat lamp is unnecesary, then you respond with this?

Quote:
Thanks, it was my first bearded dragon but after I did my research on care for the reptile I removed the red bulb. Thank you though.
So which is it? The red light lamp failed when you got home, or after you actually did research on the animal you bought and realized you did not need it?

If the bulb was faulty when you got home, why would you remove it? It never even worked in the first place, remember? Why remove a non-working bulb after your research?

Perhaps next time you buy a live animal you should research that particular species husbandry & needs before you buy. And yeah, I have pet dragons, a couple nearing 9 years old. Night lights are not necessary. Sarah is correct.

I would hope that a potential customer/owner would research a particular species husbandry needs before they purchaese.

I also hope a vendor would not pass on faulty information relative to an animal's needs just to sell a product (a freaking light bulb, no less)

If the infrared bulb is part of the whole dragon "buy it all" set up, then it needs to be removed. FR needs to take responsibility for that. The consumer also needs to take responsibility for actually knowing what an animal needs before they buy.

Rant over I do wish your dragon lives long and prospers.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:04 AM   #74
Chris Kennard
Did Family Reptiles know what the tank setup was for? They didn't sell her the lizard.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:14 AM   #75
LauraB
Quote:
Hey guys,
This past weekend I went to Repticon in Gainesville, FL I spent over three hundred dollars including a bearded dragon tank set up from Family Reptiles. When I got home right away the red heating lamp bulb did not work, then today the daytime heating bulb went out, only two days after I purchased them....
This was her initial post. I read "bearded dragon tank set up" ... I assumed the lights were included in that "set up". If I am incorrect, I have to eat a shoe or flip flop, lol.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #76
caffeinecynic
It might've been one of the premade factory kits - although I don't see a red bulb in the ZooMed one, so I'm not sure. The implication I got was that the kit had the bulb - and those kits are prepackaged by the companies who produce them (ZooMed, Zilla, etc).

I know for a fact they sell kits like this - premade by the companies - as I saw several different Zilla setups when I went to their store last Saturday.

I've attached both ZooMed's kit and Zilla's kit screenshots for reference. Looks like Zilla includes bulbs - could've been that? I don't recall seeing OP say it was a kit put together specifically by Family Reptiles.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #77
mmarie341
Yes, it was one of those prepackaged setups. I'm not sure if FR knew what I was buying the set up for. And no I bought the dragon with someone else.

When I got home and the red bulb didn't work my boyfriend had a light on one of his boas, so I screwed that one in thinking I could get a replacement bulb quickly.... then later that day AFTER I spoke with FR and Zoomed. I did research on care and saw is unnecessary and harmful for the animal and I removed the bulb. Did that answer all the questions? I'm on my phone so it's hard to scrolll up.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #78
mmarie341
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinecynic View Post
It might've been one of the premade factory kits - although I don't see a red bulb in the ZooMed one, so I'm not sure. The implication I got was that the kit had the bulb - and those kits are prepackaged by the companies who produce them (ZooMed, Zilla, etc).

I know for a fact they sell kits like this - premade by the companies - as I saw several different Zilla setups when I went to their store last Saturday.

I've attached both ZooMed's kit and Zilla's kit screenshots for reference. Looks like Zilla includes bulbs - could've been that? I don't recall seeing OP say it was a kit put together specifically by Family Reptiles.
The top picture you posted is the exact set up I bought. It had the double headed lamp with a day bulb and a red night bulb.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #79
Black Adder
If you look at the picture from the Zoomed setup it looks like it indicates there is a uvb lamp and a red basking bulb included, hard to tell and there website does not clarify, just states uvb bulb and basking bulb?

Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #80
mmarie341
Sorry, scratch that maybe it wasn't the exact one as that.
Mine included:
40 gal tank w/ lid
Combo Deep Dual lamp fixture w/ red bulb and white bulb (as seen in my photo)
UVB hood w/ reptisun UBV bulb (as seen in my photo)
Repti sand (orange)
Rock food dish
Dual Thermometer and humidity gauge
Zoomed food sample:
Food Pellets (I don't know what you call them. I never used, my dragon didn't eat)
Repti calcium
Reptivite

This is all that came in the set up I bought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!