Signs of Pregnancy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-24-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Reptileking636
Signs of Pregnancy

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but i know nothing about leos and my friend wants to know what are some signs that a female is pregnant. Thanks for your toleration.

Mike

Old 01-24-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
geckogrl6
well, due to their nicely translucent belly skin, you can and will see eggs developing. They will appear as most likely two white ovals, one on each side, just in front of the hips. hope that helps, its nearly impossible to get a good pic of it.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
Manhattan Herps
not that impossible..

Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Manhattan Herps
WHOA!! sorry for that huge pic!

Old 01-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
-JayDog-
Hey guys, in my research, I found this site that helped inform me about Leo Breeding, Egg Development and Hatchling Care. Look under ther "Producing Eggs" section for a pic.

http://www.thegeckospot.com/leobreeding.html

Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
-JayDog-
What's the dark pink spot in between the two eggs?

Old 01-25-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
robin d.
the gecko he has pictured is about ready to lay anytime,, the pink spot is ovulation (the long white elongated areas on each side of the belly are the eggs.) where the new eggs are being formed and fertilized. if your females have been in with no males and you see this pink spot it is time to introduce the male... it means she is ovulating. that picture angle is the tail end closest (even though you cant see it) and the pink spot about midbody, her head being farthest away and out of the picture

Old 01-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Manhattan Herps
what robin said is 100% correct

i took that picture about 2 1/2 weeks ago, a day after that picture she layed

Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
-JayDog-
Robin, what's the weather in Boston going to be like tomorrow?

I know I've asked this question before, but I'm just an impatiant first time breeder. I put my male in with my female over two weeks ago, and as far as I can tell, I've seen no sign of mating. Everytime I hear him wag his tail, she just walks away. I've been checking her stomach for signs of ovulation or eggs and really can't tell, but on the other hand, I can't be 100% sure that she's not ovulating. There's a little bit of pink on her belly, but not too dark. So to get to my question...

How late in the season will a female start to ovulate or be ready to mate? It sounds like everybody else's leos are already producing eggs. Should I be conserned that nothing has happened yet?

I'm very anal when it comes to husbantry, so I know she has all essential neccesities: Multiple hides, correct heat, pleanty of food water, plenty of calcium, day night cycles, moist hide, moist lay box.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 01-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
robin d.
i dont know the weather in boston but i can say it is definately colder than texas =)
... males can stimulate females into ovulation but they can ovulate almost any time of year .... i had females laying eggs as late as sept and oct. 04. Generally however spring and summer are the best times for ovulation and mating. she may not be interested but the males can be very persistant

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!