Help I Think My Dumeril Is Sick - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-12-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
billyboyblue
Help I Think My Dumeril Is Sick

I Think My Dum Is Sick It Sounds Like A Hiss But Its Mostly When He Breaths Out What Can I Do I Need Help Fast? To Bad I Dont Know Much About This Snake Cause I Just Bought Him Of Kingsnake.com........someone Help I Love This Guy Already And He Sounds Bad.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
hhmoore
is this the male? (I think I remember you looking for a male) sorry to hear you are having problems with him. unfortunately, that can be a risk of buying the unknown...and an even bigger risk this time of year, due to the low temps. I'm sure you have been checking stuff out long enough to anticipate at least some of the first round of questions, but here goes anyway. what are you keeping him in? how are you heating? what are cage temps (high/low side, night/day)? what is humidity level? room temps? still eating? is it just a hissy sound (maybe it is just a hiss)? is it short or long in duration? wet sounding? wheezy (high pitched)? are nostrils clear or plugged? how long have you had this one/how long has he been making the noise?
I won't start telling you to fix things til you help us figure out what's broke...in the meantime, keep him in the cage - it is almost certainly warmer there than in the room he is kept in. don't panic, most likely this is fixable...but it may cost you a trip to the vet.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
billyboyblue
The more it happens i think its just a hiss, he does not do all the time just when i touch him. could this be from not knowing me? he does not seem like he wants to attack(yet).... hes big so i dont want to mess around to much it can hurt. but anyway yea he only does it when i touch him, how can i stop this it freaks me out.lol.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
hhmoore
how long have you had him? have you been handling him alot? did his previous owner handle him alot? if he is pretty new - just leave him alone for awhile, let him settle. keep handling to a minimum - cage maintenance only. and keep an eye (ear) on him...if it is only when you are touching him, nothing to worry about. when it comes time to handle, just do it...Dums aren't particularly aggressive, or overly inclined to bite; but the more his warnings work, the more he'll do it. I hate to say it, but if you are that scared of him, maybe a snake that size isn't the best choice. I only say that because I have seen people that are scared of their animals, and what tends to happen is things get neglected. if you can't get by your fear, maybe you could trade him for a different one.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
billyboyblue
no iam not scared at all i just rather not get bit.lol. i will leave him alone than thanks for the info, i just got him 3 day ago... so i thought it might be from not knowing me.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:17 AM   #6
hhmoore
good luck with him. do keep an eye on him though, as shipping this time of year can be tough on them. I've got a few things that I received over the past few months that started the whole noisy breathing soon after arrival...most straightened out within a week or so of proper temps, but there are still a couple making noise. they're still eating well, but I am watching them carefully for any other signs of problems. If he doesn't lighten up his attitude, I have a male I might consider trading in a few months (once it is warmer) he bred with one of my females, so he should suit your needs.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #7
billyboyblue
thanks alot for your input i appreciate your help. You always answer all of my questions everytime... when do you think i should start tring to hold him? Like I said it dont seem like he wants to strike just makes alot of noise when i atemped to hold him.... Well i let him chill for a little and keep a eye on him. Iam going to to try to to feed him today see if he takes it. yea ill keep you posted on him. Again thanks alot for your help.
Bill

Old 02-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
billyboyblue
how long do you think i should leave him alone? Do you know of any ways to settle him down? Or just wait it out?let me know you think. i really dont want to have a snake i can't hold..... its almost pointless. I dont know mabey iam just a worry wort lol.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
hhmoore
I would just give him some time to get settled. let him sit for a week or so, then try feeding. handling a snake that doesn't want to be handled is stressful; and until he is acclimated and you are sure he is in good health, you want to minimize stress. once he has fed a few times, you can try for a handling session (expect to have to move him around before that for cage maintenance - I usually just move into a holding container so I have easy access to everything). if you are concerned about being bitten, wear a flannel (chamois, or similar long sleeve) shirt and a pair of gloves. Do you know if his previous keeper handled him much - many do not. with patience, you should have him calmed down in relatively short order. if not, as I mentioned before, I would be willing to discuss possibly trading one of my males...but I wouldn't consider that for a few months - you should be good to go by then. HAVE FUN

Old 02-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
billyboyblue
The last owner said he was VERY tame...... but he just dont seem like it ill just give him some time. thanks alot for your help again ill keep you posted.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!