Incubation media - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Which incubation media do you use?
perlite 3 21.43%
vermiculite 5 35.71%
mulch 0 0%
sphagnum moss 2 14.29%
potting soil 0 0%
a mixture (please describe) 3 21.43%
media-free 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
hhmoore
Incubation media

Which do you use for your eggs?

Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
twh49801
mix

2 parts perilite and 1 part vermiculite to equal part of water by weight.works great for me. TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

Old 04-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
cornsnakekid92
I just use peat/saugum moss, it is cheap and bigg bags at homedepot

Old 04-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
norsmis
I use straight perlite. I use a mixture of 1 part perlite to .8 parts water. Hatching rate is usually 99%.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
Sometimes I use long fibered sphagnum. Sometimes vermiculite. Sometimes vermiculite/perlite mixture, and sometimes either vermiculite or sphagnum with a perlite topping to hold the eggs off the moist substrate.
I've never been precise about measuring the media and water, I just go by feel then watch the eggs. I do it this way because it's the way I first learned years ago before I read of any actual "formulas".
I've had fine success with all methods except for pure perlite. I think that's because my "mix by feel" method just doesn't work with that media since it doesn't soak up the water like the others do, and you need to measure the mixture.
My favorite is pure vermiculite with or without a perlite topping. I'm just used to mixing the vermiculite and can tell when it's right by feeling it.
I think I'll try some of the measuring methods this year and see how that goes. I like the method of so many 16oz cups of media to one 16oz cup of water used by the Sutherlands and the Barkers. It's simple and effecient, and most likely more consistent than the way I've always done it.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:46 AM   #6
NEWReptiles
I only work with Regius but use no substrate to incubate.

A few years with this method and no problems thus far.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
I think that's because my "mix by feel" method just doesn't work with that media since it doesn't soak up the water like the others do, and you need to measure the mixture.
That's one of the reasons I kind of like perlite, because when I use clear containers I can mark the "water line" and it is easier to keep track of any moisture loss. Still use vermiculite also, I seem to just use whatever I have on hand, which was whatever I happened to find first when I'm looking for it I guess.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
norsmis
The way I use perlite is to put my container on the scale and tare it out. I then add the perlite. I get the weight of the perlite and multiply it by .8. The number I get from this is the amount of water needed. I then add this number to the weight of the perlite. I use this number as my stopping point for adding water. For example, I weigh my perlite and it is 200 grams. I multiply this by .8 which equals 160. I add 200 and 160 which equals 360.
I leave the container on the scale and begin to spray the perlite with a spray bottle until it reaches 360 grams. Pretty easy and I have had awesome luck with it.
If I get a clutch that is stuck together I sometimes put a thin layer of sphagnum moss over the top.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!