Tylosin (TYLAN) used for reptiles?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
nicolai
Tylosin (TYLAN) used for reptiles??

Anyone heard of tylosin being used to treat infection in reptiles. I was in a chat forum when gentleman said his vet used tylan to treat a monitor for a infection. Now i know it is used in horses and cattle but have never heard of it being used for reptiles??

Now being that tylosin is a broad spectrum antibiotic in the "macrolide" family with erythromycin cultured from live Streptomyces bacteria, I wouldn't think it would be all that safe in reptiles.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Cat_72
One of my Beardies ended up with an RI due to poor advice I got on brumation techniques, and after other meds failed and he continued to decline, my vet recommended Tylan. He was immensely better after a single dose of Tylan, and he made a quick and complete recovery after a couple more doses. I keep that on hand along with Baytril now.

I know Tylan is also used in dogs very successfully.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
esoteric-lizard
i found this info below:

http://www.marvistavet.com/index.html

go into the pharmacy...

BRAND NAME: BAYTRIL

AVAILABLE IN
5.7 mg, 22.7 mg, 68 mg & 136 mg
TABLETS

BACKGROUND

Until penicillin came on the scene in the 1940's, our efforts to combat bacterial infection were largely ineffective. As different antibiotics were developed, different types of bacteria were conquered, yet one bacterial species remained seemingly invincible: Pseudomonas aurugenosa. Eventually antibiotics (the aminoglycoside class) were developed that could kill Pseudomonas but they were available only as injectable products and had potential to cause significant kidney damage if used too long. With these kind of side effects and the ability to treat Pseudomonas limited to hospitalized patients (where injections could be given regularly), the battle with Pseudomonas was far from won.

A major breakthrough was the development of the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics (including enrofloxacin, its counterpart for human use ciprofloxacin, and several others). These medications are active against many bacterial types including Pseudomonas. They are available as tablets and are not associated with the serious side effects that plagued the aminoglycoside group.

Fluoroquinolones act by deactivating bacterial enzymes necessary for the transcription of DNA. DNA is very tightly coiled in order to fit inside a cell. Segments to be used must be uncoiled by an enzyme called DNA gyrase. The fluoroquinolone antibiotic deactivates DNA gyrase making the reading of DNA impossible. The bacterial cell dies. Mammalian DNA gyrase is of a completely different shape and remains unharmed.

USES OF THIS MEDICATION

This medication may be used in either dogs or cats to combat different types of infections, especially those involving Pseudomonas. Enrofloxacin is also active against Staphylococci, and thus is commonly used for infections of the skin.

SIDE EFFECTS

At approximately ten times the recommended dose vomiting and diarrhea may be seen with this medication. At normal doses, this should not be seen. Dogs with Pseudomonas ear infections require very high doses of enrofloxacin and nausea may indeed become a problem.

In immature dogs (less than 8 months of age) damage to joint cartilage can occur. This phenomenon is only seen in growing dogs and does not seem to be a problem in cats. It is preferable not to use this medication in puppies unless the severity of the infection present warrants it.

The use of enrofloxacin can produce crystals in urine. These crystals may show up on a laboratory test thus it is important to be aware of this side effect.

See below regarding the recently described feline retinal problem associated with enrofloxacin at higher doses.

BRAND NAME: TYLAN
AVAILABLE IN
ORAL POWDER or
INJECTABLE

BACKGROUND

Tylosin is an antibiotic of the “macrolide” class (same class as erythromycin). It is made naturally by the bacterium “Streptomyces fradiae” and acts to inhibit bacterial protein synthesis by inhibiting the 50S ribosome, a cellular structure only certain bacteria have and use to make internal proteins.

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED

Tylosin is licensed for use as a broad spectrum antibiotic for injectable or oral use in treatment of infection in livestock. In small animals, tylosin is used for its anti-inflammatory properties in the large intestine rather than for its ability to fight infection. While few formal studies have been performed to examine this non-antibacterial property of tylosin, this has not stopped tylosin from being widely used in the treatment of colitis in pets.

Tylosin can also be used in ferrets, rabbits and pocket pets.

SIDE EFFECTS

While there is definite side effects potential in large animal species, dogs can tolerate very high doses of tylosin with no adverse effects. The biggest problem with small animal use seems to be the especially foul taste of tylosin which necessitates formulation into capsules usually by a

reptiles are basically the same as mammals in morphological terms, with only slight metabolic and structural differences.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
nicolai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
One of my Beardies ended up with an RI due to poor advice I got on brumation techniques, and after other meds failed and he continued to decline, my vet recommended Tylan. He was immensely better after a single dose of Tylan, and he made a quick and complete recovery after a couple more doses. I keep that on hand along with Baytril now.

I know Tylan is also used in dogs very successfully.

Do you have any info on the dose/weight ratio or anything?

Old 05-31-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Cat_72
Nicolai, I'll have to ask my vet again what strength he diluted it to, I know the full-strength given to cattle and horses is just too much. As it was mixed, the Beardie is a good sized German Giant cross, and I still only had to give him a tenth of a CC. He's in surgery all morning, and has farm calls in the afternoon. I left him a message, he'll get back to me this afternoon or tomorrow.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
nicolai
Thanks cat. its probably diluted with a ringers solution.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolai
Thanks cat. its probably diluted with a ringers solution.
ringers lactate is nice... it taste like gatorade... lol! jk!

check out the the link below...

http://www.elancous.com/products/pdf...tion_label.pdf

btw... will you guys stop ignoring me lol! you know it takes time to seach and post links.

... and not even a thank you... geeez!

Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
nicolai
Sorry brian, we do appreciate your research. i actually read everything on that link you posted.

P.S. Its good to see a mod helping out in ther forum !!!!!!

Old 05-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
techgirl
There is one thing to be careful with in Baytril and cats. In high enough doses it can cause renal toxity and blindness. Just wanted to add that little bit of info.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
nicolai
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
There is one thing to be careful with in Baytril and cats. In high enough doses it can cause renal toxity and blindness. Just wanted to add that little bit of info.
And to add too that....If baytril is injected either subcataneally or in the last third of the body of a lizard or snake it can cause kidney failure and or renal damage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!